Jun 27, 2013, 10:49 AM EDT
Influential player agent Don Baizley has passed away.
The long-time agent of players like Teemu Selanne and Peter Forsberg succumbed to non-smoker’s lung cancer and leaves behind a powerful legacy as an agent in hockey.
As The Canadian Press’ Stephen Whyno notes, Baizley was an influential figure in helping end the 2004-2005 NHL lockout and his client list is extensive after 30 years of work. Selanne, Forsberg, Joe Sakic, Saku Koivu, and Jari Kurri among them. As a native of Winnipeg, he was also a member of the Manitoba Hockey Hall of Fame.
Agent Allan Walsh commented on Baizley’s passing via Twitter.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)