Jun 26, 2013, 12:15 AM EST
We know they can cycle the puck. We know they can score, particularly in the regular season. We’re going to find out if they can kill penalties and block shots.
With John Tortorella being named as the new head coach of the Vancouver Canucks, the Sedin twins – Daniel and Henrik – will be counted upon to contribute more on the defensive side of the puck than they were under the old reign of Alain Vigneault.
That will include penalty killing duties and getting in the way of opposing players’ shots, which is in keeping with Tortorella’s on-ice plan that the New York Rangers, his old team, excelled at throughout most of his tenure.
“I’ll tell you right now, [the Sedins] are going to kill penalties,” Tortorella told reporters on Tuesday.
“And if they’re going to kill penalties, they’re going to block shots. I think they’ll welcome it because they want to get better, they want to win a championship, and that’s how you win a championship.”
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 41
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 117
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (121)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)