Jun 26, 2013, 1:14 PM EST
If the Colorado Avalanche are true to their word and select Nathan MacKinnon first overall in Sunday’s NHL draft, it will give them four top-six centers, with the other three being Matt Duchene, Ryan O’Reilly, and Paul Stastny.
Not that having too many talented centers is the worst problem in the world, but it’s no surprise that people are starting to talk about Stastny, a 27-year-old who’s seen his production fall in recent seasons and has just one year remaining on a big contract ($6.6 million cap hit) before he can become an unrestricted free agent.
However, according to incoming Avs head coach Patrick Roy, there are no immediate plans to trade Stastny. Instead, the plan right now is to have MacKinnon as the third-line center, with O’Reilly moving to the wing.
“I’d be very surprised if we move Paul,” Roy told ESPN recently. “Paul is a guy that is very happy in Denver. Paul is a team guy. I’m looking more to sit down with Ryan and see if he’ll accept to play on the left [wing] with Matt.”
Of course, all that would change Sunday if the Avs 1) trade the first overall pick or 2) are bluffing and take defenseman Seth Jones first overall.
Don’t entirely count out a Stastny trade either. On Sunday, the Denver Post’s Adrian Dater floated a potential Dion Phaneuf-for-Stastny swap, though Dater added he wasn’t aware of any talks between the Avs and Leafs.
Mar 3, 2015, 6:29 PM EST
Could we see an upset or a blowout?
Mar 3, 2015, 5:33 PM EST
Incident occurred during TSN’s trade deadline day coverage.
Mar 3, 2015, 4:41 PM EST
Recapping the trade deadline.
Mar 3, 2015, 4:38 PM EST
“Shane’s a pro, he’ll get through it.”
Mar 3, 2015, 3:58 PM EST
Flames captain was holding out hope for a “tiny chance” he could keep playing.
Mar 3, 2015, 3:25 PM EST
Making it “pretty cool to be a part of.”
Mar 3, 2015, 2:17 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Mar 3, 2015, 2:16 PM EST
He didn’t sign with them to lose.
Mar 3, 2015, 1:32 PM EST
Ex-Dallas winger could open up playing alongside the Detroit captain.
Mar 3, 2015, 1:10 PM EST
“Is it his fault we’re losing? No. Did he build this team? No.”
Mar 3, 2015, 12:28 PM EST
“Matt’s priority is to remain in Anaheim for many years to come. Hopefully we can make that happen.”
Mar 3, 2015, 11:56 AM EST
Sens are making a run in the East, but it’s still the Bruins’ spot to lose.
Mar 3, 2015, 11:06 AM EST
“Players would have to come to me.”
Mar 3, 2015, 10:55 AM EST
The other new guy, Sean Bergenheim, will play with Nino Niederreiter and Charlie Coyle.
Mar 3, 2015, 10:41 AM EST
The two squads will play again on Sunday.
Mar 3, 2015, 10:35 AM EST
Plenty of roster spots to be filled in Buffalo after yesterday’s deadline.
Mar 3, 2015, 9:57 AM EST
Is this a sign of what they should expect to face as free agents?
Mar 3, 2015, 9:11 AM EST
This was a key win for San Jose.
Mar 3, 2015, 8:56 AM EST
Tampa Bay needs to get hot to challenge the Atlantic Division-leading Montreal Canadiens.
Mar 3, 2015, 8:00 AM EST
Tuesday’s collection of links.
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 25
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 21
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 37
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 7
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 77
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (77)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)