Jun 26, 2013, 1:14 PM EST
If the Colorado Avalanche are true to their word and select Nathan MacKinnon first overall in Sunday’s NHL draft, it will give them four top-six centers, with the other three being Matt Duchene, Ryan O’Reilly, and Paul Stastny.
Not that having too many talented centers is the worst problem in the world, but it’s no surprise that people are starting to talk about Stastny, a 27-year-old who’s seen his production fall in recent seasons and has just one year remaining on a big contract ($6.6 million cap hit) before he can become an unrestricted free agent.
However, according to incoming Avs head coach Patrick Roy, there are no immediate plans to trade Stastny. Instead, the plan right now is to have MacKinnon as the third-line center, with O’Reilly moving to the wing.
“I’d be very surprised if we move Paul,” Roy told ESPN recently. “Paul is a guy that is very happy in Denver. Paul is a team guy. I’m looking more to sit down with Ryan and see if he’ll accept to play on the left [wing] with Matt.”
Of course, all that would change Sunday if the Avs 1) trade the first overall pick or 2) are bluffing and take defenseman Seth Jones first overall.
Don’t entirely count out a Stastny trade either. On Sunday, the Denver Post’s Adrian Dater floated a potential Dion Phaneuf-for-Stastny swap, though Dater added he wasn’t aware of any talks between the Avs and Leafs.
Dec 10, 2013, 9:30 PM EST
Alex Ovechkin made the Lightning pay.
Dec 10, 2013, 8:36 PM EST
More blues for the Blueshirts.
Dec 10, 2013, 8:24 PM EST
At least he made it longer than Braden Holtby.
Dec 10, 2013, 8:08 PM EST
Martin Jones and Ben Scrivens are holding down the fort.
Dec 10, 2013, 7:47 PM EST
Mike Green also gets a game misconduct.
Dec 10, 2013, 7:12 PM EST
GMs sing his praises, too.
Dec 10, 2013, 6:52 PM EST
It won’t happen in 2014-15, though.
Dec 10, 2013, 5:31 PM EST
It’s a hot-button issue in the wake of Saturday’s Boston-Pittsburgh game.
Dec 10, 2013, 5:13 PM EST
Phoenix has just two wins in its last eight.
Dec 10, 2013, 4:21 PM EST
Former first-round pick on his way to Norfolk.
Dec 10, 2013, 3:02 PM EST
We’re about to find out.
Dec 10, 2013, 2:42 PM EST
A loaded Detroit roster gets… more loaded.
Dec 10, 2013, 2:15 PM EST
‘Hawks no like.
Dec 10, 2013, 1:53 PM EST
For the second time this season.
Dec 10, 2013, 1:40 PM EST
Chicago’s goalie depth about to be tested.
Dec 10, 2013, 1:36 PM EST
It really wasn’t.
Dec 10, 2013, 1:29 PM EST
Because he’s spent much of this season questioning his team.
Dec 10, 2013, 12:49 PM EST
When Nashville loses, it loses big.
Dec 10, 2013, 12:16 PM EST
It’s been a long journey for the former No. 6 overall pick.
Dec 10, 2013, 12:14 PM EST
Incident occurred on Sunday, against Boston’s Kevan Miller.
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 5
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 67
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 136
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (136)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)