Jun 26, 2013, 11:33 PM EDT
There were already rumblings that a salary cap crush and some playoff struggles might spell the end of Kris Letang‘s time with the Pittsburgh Penguins. The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review’s Rob Rossi fanned those flames on Wednesday, citing sources that claim Letang is “uneasy” about his status within the franchise.
One detail that’s almost as juicy: if it’s determined that a trade is necessary, those same anonymous sources claim that the 26-year-old defenseman would prefer to join the Toronto Maple Leafs.
According to the report, the Penguins would ask for an NHL-ready player who is under contract, one or more top prospects and a “potential first-round draft pick.”
It’s important to note that the Penguins haven’t given up on signing Letang. GM Ray Shero told Rossi that the “focus is on working out a new contract,” yet he didn’t rule out several options, including a trade.
Both sides give the impression that it would be ideal for Letang to stay with a contract extension in hand, at least from what’s been said.
Letang’s bargain $3.5 million cap hit expires after 2013-14, and with the market treating high-scoring defenseman very well, it’s believed that the Norris Trophy candidate could fetch a healthy ransom.
The situation is somewhat reminiscent of last summer, when Jordan Staal and the Penguins reached an impasse during contract extension talks, leading to the two-way center being traded to the Carolina Hurricanes.
It’s way too early to say that Letang will be wearing another team’s uniform next season. Still, it begs the question: is Letang getting married this summer?
Apr 28, 2015, 12:04 AM EDT
It’s also tough to say what happens next.
Apr 27, 2015, 11:16 PM EDT
Barry Trotz says he has the joy of a kid and the maturity of a man.
Apr 27, 2015, 10:33 PM EDT
Apr 27, 2015, 10:17 PM EDT
Washington shuts it down, big time.
Apr 27, 2015, 9:55 PM EDT
Some great individual performances propel Tampa Bay.
Apr 27, 2015, 9:36 PM EDT
Game 7 is one of those “let them play” games.
Apr 27, 2015, 9:02 PM EDT
No penalty on the play.
Apr 27, 2015, 8:23 PM EDT
Apr 27, 2015, 7:47 PM EDT
Tampa Bay needed a strong start like this.
Apr 27, 2015, 7:22 PM EDT
Just one appearance in this series.
Apr 27, 2015, 6:54 PM EDT
Tough to argue with this two-way trio.
Apr 27, 2015, 6:16 PM EDT
One Game 7 and one team hoping to force another.
Apr 27, 2015, 5:28 PM EDT
Tom Stillman did say “I’m sure there’ll be changes” following another first-round playoff defeat.
Apr 27, 2015, 4:56 PM EDT
Expected to make full recovery within 4-6 weeks.
Apr 27, 2015, 4:11 PM EDT
Former Maple Leaf and Red Wing appeared in over 1,200 career games, winning five Stanley Cups.
Apr 27, 2015, 3:11 PM EDT
Kevin Bieksa and Dan Hamhuis were each asked if they’d be willing to waive their no-trade clauses.
Apr 27, 2015, 2:47 PM EDT
Flames head coach Bob Hartley confirmed the decision on Monday.
Apr 27, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT
Tournament will be a big one for the Flyers forward.
Apr 27, 2015, 1:17 PM EDT
Thus ending the Scott Darling era… for now.
Apr 27, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
New building could open by the fall of 2017.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 9
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 5
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 27
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 76
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 51
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)