Jun 26, 2013, 11:33 PM EST
There were already rumblings that a salary cap crush and some playoff struggles might spell the end of Kris Letang‘s time with the Pittsburgh Penguins. The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review’s Rob Rossi fanned those flames on Wednesday, citing sources that claim Letang is “uneasy” about his status within the franchise.
One detail that’s almost as juicy: if it’s determined that a trade is necessary, those same anonymous sources claim that the 26-year-old defenseman would prefer to join the Toronto Maple Leafs.
According to the report, the Penguins would ask for an NHL-ready player who is under contract, one or more top prospects and a “potential first-round draft pick.”
It’s important to note that the Penguins haven’t given up on signing Letang. GM Ray Shero told Rossi that the “focus is on working out a new contract,” yet he didn’t rule out several options, including a trade.
Both sides give the impression that it would be ideal for Letang to stay with a contract extension in hand, at least from what’s been said.
Letang’s bargain $3.5 million cap hit expires after 2013-14, and with the market treating high-scoring defenseman very well, it’s believed that the Norris Trophy candidate could fetch a healthy ransom.
The situation is somewhat reminiscent of last summer, when Jordan Staal and the Penguins reached an impasse during contract extension talks, leading to the two-way center being traded to the Carolina Hurricanes.
It’s way too early to say that Letang will be wearing another team’s uniform next season. Still, it begs the question: is Letang getting married this summer?
Jan 28, 2015, 5:55 PM EST
Is expected to be released today.
Jan 28, 2015, 5:21 PM EST
Sharks, Ducks, Kings, Flames, and Oilers will all have their affiliates in the west next season.
Jan 28, 2015, 4:44 PM EST
That’s a picture of Milwaukee.
Jan 28, 2015, 3:02 PM EST
The Los Angeles Kings are bad at the shootout, and the Buffalo Sabres are good at it.
Jan 28, 2015, 2:15 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Jan 28, 2015, 1:51 PM EST
An incident against Philly on Jan. 19 was the straw that broke the camel’s back.
Jan 28, 2015, 1:39 PM EST
Chris Stewart remains a member of the worst team in the NHL.
Jan 28, 2015, 1:39 PM EST
“We’re not giving up on him at all.”
Jan 28, 2015, 1:16 PM EST
Someone check the water in Columbus.
Jan 28, 2015, 1:11 PM EST
“That was a team with tremendous character, with great coaches, great players and quality individuals. “
Jan 28, 2015, 12:51 PM EST
Habs’ d-man was tossed from Tuesday night’s game.
Jan 28, 2015, 11:52 AM EST
“It shouldn’t be a part of hockey,” said Canucks captain Henrik Sedin.
Jan 28, 2015, 11:51 AM EST
Could be bad news. Could be good. All depends who you cheer for.
Jan 28, 2015, 11:33 AM EST
Boston d-man has struggled this season, but could be on the move by Mar. 2.
Jan 28, 2015, 11:17 AM EST
Los Angeles is currently out of the West’s top eight.
Jan 28, 2015, 11:16 AM EST
“Show up to your job, and you’re off suspension.”
Jan 28, 2015, 11:08 AM EST
Jim Rutherford, really working the phones.
Jan 28, 2015, 10:36 AM EST
“I got nothing left here.”
Jan 28, 2015, 9:45 AM EST
Both teams played last night.
Jan 28, 2015, 8:46 AM EST
Wednesday’s links lean toward a legend.
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 15
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 21
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 32
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 61
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 30
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 57
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 17
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (127)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (63)
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)