Jun 26, 2013, 11:42 AM EDT
Tampa Bay would prefer to avoid a buyout payout and the Lightning are offering a draft pick as an enticement. Malone has a no-move clause in his contract until July 1, which gives him some control of the situation. It is a limited no-trade after then.
Malone is coming off an injury-plagued season in which he played just 24 games, scoring six times and adding two assists. The 33-year-old is a six-time 20-goal scorer with two years remaining on his contract, with a cap hit of $4.5 million.
His salary in each of the two remaining seasons, however, is just $2.5 million, according to CapGeek.
What level of interest might there be in Malone? Much would depend on his health. What does it say that the Lightning are reportedly willing to throw in a draft pick as an enticement?
But if his health is good, how about the Edmonton Oilers? There’s cap space available (and there will be more if Shawn Horcoff and Ales Hemsky are moved), and they could use a big, tough winger with experience.
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 1
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 31
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)