Jun 26, 2013, 9:33 PM EST
Los Angeles Kings GM Dean Lombardi has generated a reputation for pulling off shrewd deals – Jonathan Quick‘s salary was $1.7 million last season, for example – but retaining underrated defenseman Rob Scuderi represents a significant challenge this summer.
“We’re going to continue to plug away on [trying to sign Scuderi],” Lombardi said.
Securing the 34-year-old at the right price is the stumbling point.
“I think we all would love to have [Scuderi] back, but as we say, with the cap coming down, it’s all about making things fit,” Lombardi said. “It’s not about our desire to have the player. At least now, with [the Bernier trade] off our plate, and we know we’ve got a pretty good handle on our [salary cap] space—the other thing too, don’t forget, at least getting Frattin and Scrivens up, now we know the price. It also gives us a little more certainty on how aggressive we can be.”
“We know where we stand as far as other [roster] holes, which clearly define, in most cases, what we’re going to have left to get under the cap. So it’s probably fair to say that our first call will be back to Rob here this week.”
It’s tougher to put a price on a stay-at-home defenseman – especially a distinguished one such as Scuderi – but the Kings hope to find that sweet spot.
Judging by Dustin Brown still registering a mere $3.175 million salary cap in 2013-14, the Kings are generally pretty good at this sort of thing.
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvrith makes Sabres debut 0
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 17
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 33
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 33
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Video: Caps, Flyers engage in another line brawl 53
- PHT’s 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 28
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)