Jun 26, 2013, 2:54 PM EDT
Leading up to the 2013 NHL Entry Draft in New Jersey, we’ll be profiling top prospects who may hear their names called Sunday in the first round. Nothing too in-depth. Just enough so you know who they are and what they’re about.
Seth Jones (D)
Height: 6’4 Weight: 205 Shoots: Right
Team: Portland Winterhawks (WHL)
NHL Central Scouting ranking: No. 1 among North American skaters
What kind of player is he?
The son of ex-NBAer Popeye Jones is considered to have franchise cornerstone potential, the type of all-around blueliner a team can build its defense around. He’s drawn comparisons to Chris Pronger and Rob Blake, and says he models his game after Drew Doughty.
He’s got the size and physical attributes to play the tough, shutdown game required of NHL defensemen, but also has plenty of offensive flair. Jones scored 56 points in 61 games for the Winterhawks this season and was a point-a-game producer for Team USA’s gold medal-winning team at the 2013 World Juniors.
Scouts routinely praise Jones as a “complete package.”
“I played against [Jones] at World Juniors, and he’s a great defenseman. He’s really big and is a good offensive defenseman. He really hurt us.” — Team Canada and Florida Panthers forward Jonathan Huberdeau, 2013 Calder Trophy winner (as per the Miami Herald).
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 4
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 17
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 37
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 46
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy 172
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)