Jun 26, 2013, 2:54 PM EDT
Leading up to the 2013 NHL Entry Draft in New Jersey, we’ll be profiling top prospects who may hear their names called Sunday in the first round. Nothing too in-depth. Just enough so you know who they are and what they’re about.
Seth Jones (D)
Height: 6’4 Weight: 205 Shoots: Right
Team: Portland Winterhawks (WHL)
NHL Central Scouting ranking: No. 1 among North American skaters
What kind of player is he?
The son of ex-NBAer Popeye Jones is considered to have franchise cornerstone potential, the type of all-around blueliner a team can build its defense around. He’s drawn comparisons to Chris Pronger and Rob Blake, and says he models his game after Drew Doughty.
He’s got the size and physical attributes to play the tough, shutdown game required of NHL defensemen, but also has plenty of offensive flair. Jones scored 56 points in 61 games for the Winterhawks this season and was a point-a-game producer for Team USA’s gold medal-winning team at the 2013 World Juniors.
Scouts routinely praise Jones as a “complete package.”
“I played against [Jones] at World Juniors, and he’s a great defenseman. He’s really big and is a good offensive defenseman. He really hurt us.” — Team Canada and Florida Panthers forward Jonathan Huberdeau, 2013 Calder Trophy winner (as per the Miami Herald).
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 0
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 4
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 19
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 33
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 4
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 34
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)