Jun 26, 2013, 2:54 PM EST
Leading up to the 2013 NHL Entry Draft in New Jersey, we’ll be profiling top prospects who may hear their names called Sunday in the first round. Nothing too in-depth. Just enough so you know who they are and what they’re about.
Seth Jones (D)
Height: 6’4 Weight: 205 Shoots: Right
Team: Portland Winterhawks (WHL)
NHL Central Scouting ranking: No. 1 among North American skaters
What kind of player is he?
The son of ex-NBAer Popeye Jones is considered to have franchise cornerstone potential, the type of all-around blueliner a team can build its defense around. He’s drawn comparisons to Chris Pronger and Rob Blake, and says he models his game after Drew Doughty.
He’s got the size and physical attributes to play the tough, shutdown game required of NHL defensemen, but also has plenty of offensive flair. Jones scored 56 points in 61 games for the Winterhawks this season and was a point-a-game producer for Team USA’s gold medal-winning team at the 2013 World Juniors.
Scouts routinely praise Jones as a “complete package.”
“I played against [Jones] at World Juniors, and he’s a great defenseman. He’s really big and is a good offensive defenseman. He really hurt us.” — Team Canada and Florida Panthers forward Jonathan Huberdeau, 2013 Calder Trophy winner (as per the Miami Herald).
- Cardiac Cats: Panthers win as Reimer, Leafs fade in third 12
- Report: Canes’ Jordan Staal to make season debut Monday 1
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 7
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 7
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 76
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2