Jun 26, 2013, 2:54 PM EDT
Leading up to the 2013 NHL Entry Draft in New Jersey, we’ll be profiling top prospects who may hear their names called Sunday in the first round. Nothing too in-depth. Just enough so you know who they are and what they’re about.
Seth Jones (D)
Height: 6’4 Weight: 205 Shoots: Right
Team: Portland Winterhawks (WHL)
NHL Central Scouting ranking: No. 1 among North American skaters
What kind of player is he?
The son of ex-NBAer Popeye Jones is considered to have franchise cornerstone potential, the type of all-around blueliner a team can build its defense around. He’s drawn comparisons to Chris Pronger and Rob Blake, and says he models his game after Drew Doughty.
He’s got the size and physical attributes to play the tough, shutdown game required of NHL defensemen, but also has plenty of offensive flair. Jones scored 56 points in 61 games for the Winterhawks this season and was a point-a-game producer for Team USA’s gold medal-winning team at the 2013 World Juniors.
Scouts routinely praise Jones as a “complete package.”
“I played against [Jones] at World Juniors, and he’s a great defenseman. He’s really big and is a good offensive defenseman. He really hurt us.” — Team Canada and Florida Panthers forward Jonathan Huberdeau, 2013 Calder Trophy winner (as per the Miami Herald).
- Carolina is ‘concerned’ about Jordan Staal, who was helped off the ice 1
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 25
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough (35)
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks (29)