Jun 26, 2013, 2:54 PM EDT
Leading up to the 2013 NHL Entry Draft in New Jersey, we’ll be profiling top prospects who may hear their names called Sunday in the first round. Nothing too in-depth. Just enough so you know who they are and what they’re about.
Seth Jones (D)
Height: 6’4 Weight: 205 Shoots: Right
Team: Portland Winterhawks (WHL)
NHL Central Scouting ranking: No. 1 among North American skaters
What kind of player is he?
The son of ex-NBAer Popeye Jones is considered to have franchise cornerstone potential, the type of all-around blueliner a team can build its defense around. He’s drawn comparisons to Chris Pronger and Rob Blake, and says he models his game after Drew Doughty.
He’s got the size and physical attributes to play the tough, shutdown game required of NHL defensemen, but also has plenty of offensive flair. Jones scored 56 points in 61 games for the Winterhawks this season and was a point-a-game producer for Team USA’s gold medal-winning team at the 2013 World Juniors.
Scouts routinely praise Jones as a “complete package.”
“I played against [Jones] at World Juniors, and he’s a great defenseman. He’s really big and is a good offensive defenseman. He really hurt us.” — Team Canada and Florida Panthers forward Jonathan Huberdeau, 2013 Calder Trophy winner (as per the Miami Herald).
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 21
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 16
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 27
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 61
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (65)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)