Jun 26, 2013, 8:40 PM EDT
It won’t be long before the Philadelphia Flyers buy out Danny Briere. And, from the sound of things, he won’t be “out of work” very long, either.
The 35-year-old forward told CSNPhilly.com’s Tim Panaccio that he’s had as many as 15 teams express interest in his services.
“I didn’t expect that,” Briere said.
Of course, the list might get a lot smaller if the aging winger expects a similar deal to the eight-year, $52 million contract the Flyers are about to buy out.
Briere is coming off a rough, injury-plagued 2013 season. He was limited to 16 points in 34 games, generating a -13 rating.
Still, at the right price, he can generate some serious interest. That’s especially true thanks to his playoff heroics; he has 109 points in 108 career postseason games, including 30 in 23 contests during the Flyers’ run to the 2010 Stanley Cup Final.
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 0
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 4
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 6
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 29
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)