Jun 26, 2013, 12:19 PM EDT
The Columbus Blue Jackets have locked up one of their key restricted free agents, agreeing to terms with forward Artem Anisimov on a three-year deal.
According to TSN’s Bob McKenzie, the deal is for $9.85 million, an average annual cap hit of $3.28 million.
“Artem is a big part of our team and we’re very pleased to sign him to this extension,” GM Jarmo Kekalainen said in a statement. “He’s an extremely dependable two-way center with a dynamic skill set and we think he will be a key contributor to our club in the coming years.”
Anisimov, 25, finished third on the team in goals (11) and points (18) last season, despite playing in just 35 games due to a variety of injuries.
The Russian forward — acquired by Columbus from New York as part of the Rick Nash deal — was in the final season of his two-year, $3.75 million deal that carried a $1.875 million annual cap hit.
What’s interesting is this deal is slightly less than rumors suggested it would be.
Yesterday, Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch reported he heard the new deal was “in the “$3.5M-$4M range,” suggesting Anisimov was looking at an overall payday of $10.5 to $11 million.
Update: Portzline reports Anisimov will earn $2.75 million in 2013-14, $3.1 million in 2014-15 and $4 million in 2015-16. Also worth noting the deal does not include any no-trade/movement clauses.
Mar 10, 2014, 5:26 PM EDT
Canucks GM pens letter to ticket holders.
Mar 10, 2014, 5:14 PM EDT
Click for a video explanation.
Mar 10, 2014, 4:33 PM EDT
All the latest from the blue paint…
Mar 10, 2014, 4:14 PM EDT
Dallas seems to be a good fit for the 22-year-old former Bruin.
Mar 10, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
“We have to keep scoring goals. We have to keep playing this way,” said Adam Henrique.
Mar 10, 2014, 2:56 PM EDT
He meant he doesn’t want to be traded.
Mar 10, 2014, 2:37 PM EDT
Fire up the comments section!
Mar 10, 2014, 2:26 PM EDT
But how does creating a long change in overtime sound?
Mar 10, 2014, 2:10 PM EDT
Starting tonight in Anaheim.
Mar 10, 2014, 1:49 PM EDT
A home game vs. Washington, which will also mark Dustin Penner’s return to Anaheim.
Mar 10, 2014, 1:11 PM EDT
“It’s a bad position, I guess.”
Mar 10, 2014, 12:56 PM EDT
Veteran winger won’t play tonight vs. Phoenix.
Mar 10, 2014, 12:44 PM EDT
The 13th overall pick in the 2010 draft.
Mar 10, 2014, 12:16 PM EDT
Tough blow for Montreal.
Mar 10, 2014, 11:56 AM EDT
With Jay Beagle and Tom Wilson.
Mar 10, 2014, 11:34 AM EDT
Deadline deal could end up being a masterstroke.
Mar 10, 2014, 11:17 AM EDT
Columbus is fighting hard for a spot in the postseason.
Mar 10, 2014, 10:44 AM EDT
No desire to go through a Dan Girardi/Ryan Callahan situation.
Mar 10, 2014, 9:58 AM EDT
Welcome to modern hockey philosophy.
Mar 10, 2014, 9:19 AM EDT
He was given a double-minor on the play.
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 1
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 4
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 26
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 41
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 11
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (68)