Jun 26, 2013, 10:58 AM EDT
Washington has re-signed noted pugilist Joel Rechlicz to a one-year, two-way deal, GM George McPhee announced on Wednesday.
Rechlicz, 26, split last season between AHL Hershey and Portland (he was acquired from Phoenix at the trade deadline).
Known as “The Wrecker,” Rechlicz appeared in three games for the Capitals during the 2011-12 season after forging a reputation as one of the toughest players in the AHL.
He racked up a whopping 267 penalty minutes in just 44 games with Hershey a year ago, fighting 17 times.
And here’s arguably his most famous tilt, against AHL Bridgeport’s Brett Gallant:
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 17
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 21
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 23
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 93
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5