Jun 26, 2013, 10:58 AM EDT
Washington has re-signed noted pugilist Joel Rechlicz to a one-year, two-way deal, GM George McPhee announced on Wednesday.
Rechlicz, 26, split last season between AHL Hershey and Portland (he was acquired from Phoenix at the trade deadline).
Known as “The Wrecker,” Rechlicz appeared in three games for the Capitals during the 2011-12 season after forging a reputation as one of the toughest players in the AHL.
He racked up a whopping 267 penalty minutes in just 44 games with Hershey a year ago, fighting 17 times.
And here’s arguably his most famous tilt, against AHL Bridgeport’s Brett Gallant:
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 5
- In praise of John Tavares 13
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 20
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 18
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 55
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36