Jun 26, 2013, 2:10 PM EDT
Sounds like a number of veteran Hurricanes are unlikely to be back with the club next year.
Carolina GM Jim Rutherford confirmed the club is letting defenseman Joe Corvo and goalie Dan Ellis become unrestricted free agents on July 5, along with forwards Chad LaRose and Tim Brent and defensemen Bobby Sanguinetti and Marc-Andre Bergeron.
“We will let them go into free agency,” Rutherford told the Raleigh News & Observer. “We’ll see if some make it back to us or if we make it back to them.”
Corvo, 36, has done three tours of duty with the ‘Canes — 2007-09, 2010-11 and 2013. He appeared in 40 games last season, scoring 6G-11A-17PTS while averaging close to 19 minutes per night.
Ellis, 32, recently told the Observer he and the ‘Canes were “talking back and forth” about a new deal, but those talks seemed to have cooled.
The journeyman netminder signed in Carolina last season on a one-year, $800,000 deal, primarily to serve as a veteran backup to starter Cam Ward — then got forced into starting duty when Ward was lost for the year with a knee injury.
Ellis went 6-8-2 with a .906 save percentage and 3.13 GAA, occasionally splitting duties with third-stringer Justin Peters.
Of the other remaining UFAs, LaRose is probably the most notable.
He’s spent his entire eight-year career in Carolina, appearing in over 500 regular season games and 39 playoff contests — 21 of which came during the Stanley Cup run of 2006.
LaRose, 31, had a good year in 2011-12, scoring 19G-13A-32PTS — a career-high in points, despite only playing 67 games.
- Watch Live: Predators at Blackhawks 0
- Watch Live: Capitals at Islanders 3
- Sens turn to Anderson for Game 3 3
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 10
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 72
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 63
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 166
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 18
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 6
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (166)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)