Jun 26, 2013, 2:10 PM EDT
Sounds like a number of veteran Hurricanes are unlikely to be back with the club next year.
Carolina GM Jim Rutherford confirmed the club is letting defenseman Joe Corvo and goalie Dan Ellis become unrestricted free agents on July 5, along with forwards Chad LaRose and Tim Brent and defensemen Bobby Sanguinetti and Marc-Andre Bergeron.
“We will let them go into free agency,” Rutherford told the Raleigh News & Observer. “We’ll see if some make it back to us or if we make it back to them.”
Corvo, 36, has done three tours of duty with the ‘Canes — 2007-09, 2010-11 and 2013. He appeared in 40 games last season, scoring 6G-11A-17PTS while averaging close to 19 minutes per night.
Ellis, 32, recently told the Observer he and the ‘Canes were “talking back and forth” about a new deal, but those talks seemed to have cooled.
The journeyman netminder signed in Carolina last season on a one-year, $800,000 deal, primarily to serve as a veteran backup to starter Cam Ward — then got forced into starting duty when Ward was lost for the year with a knee injury.
Ellis went 6-8-2 with a .906 save percentage and 3.13 GAA, occasionally splitting duties with third-stringer Justin Peters.
Of the other remaining UFAs, LaRose is probably the most notable.
He’s spent his entire eight-year career in Carolina, appearing in over 500 regular season games and 39 playoff contests — 21 of which came during the Stanley Cup run of 2006.
LaRose, 31, had a good year in 2011-12, scoring 19G-13A-32PTS — a career-high in points, despite only playing 67 games.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 71
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 54
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 34
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)