Jun 26, 2013, 2:10 PM EST
Sounds like a number of veteran Hurricanes are unlikely to be back with the club next year.
Carolina GM Jim Rutherford confirmed the club is letting defenseman Joe Corvo and goalie Dan Ellis become unrestricted free agents on July 5, along with forwards Chad LaRose and Tim Brent and defensemen Bobby Sanguinetti and Marc-Andre Bergeron.
“We will let them go into free agency,” Rutherford told the Raleigh News & Observer. “We’ll see if some make it back to us or if we make it back to them.”
Corvo, 36, has done three tours of duty with the ‘Canes — 2007-09, 2010-11 and 2013. He appeared in 40 games last season, scoring 6G-11A-17PTS while averaging close to 19 minutes per night.
Ellis, 32, recently told the Observer he and the ‘Canes were “talking back and forth” about a new deal, but those talks seemed to have cooled.
The journeyman netminder signed in Carolina last season on a one-year, $800,000 deal, primarily to serve as a veteran backup to starter Cam Ward — then got forced into starting duty when Ward was lost for the year with a knee injury.
Ellis went 6-8-2 with a .906 save percentage and 3.13 GAA, occasionally splitting duties with third-stringer Justin Peters.
Of the other remaining UFAs, LaRose is probably the most notable.
He’s spent his entire eight-year career in Carolina, appearing in over 500 regular season games and 39 playoff contests — 21 of which came during the Stanley Cup run of 2006.
LaRose, 31, had a good year in 2011-12, scoring 19G-13A-32PTS — a career-high in points, despite only playing 67 games.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 41
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 117
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (120)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)