Jun 26, 2013, 8:06 AM EDT
27-year-old forward Damien Brunner loved his rookie season with the Detroit Red Wings and doesn’t want to leave anytime soon. He’s scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent on July 5, but he would like to ink a multi-year deal, based on a Detroit Free Press report.
“We’ve had discussions,” Brunner’s agent, Neil Sheehy said. “We’re scheduled to talk again in New Jersey this weekend.”
Determining fair value for Brunner might be tricky given that he only has the lockout shortened season and a single playoff run under his belt as far as NHL experience goes.
On top of that, he was particularly streaky. He had 16 points in his first 19 games before going through a patch of just two goals in 25 contests. He bounced back and tied for third on the Red Wings in playoff scoring.
“Those are always issues,” Sheehy said. “If you have a long track record, it makes it easier. Nonetheless, he’s a good player. We’ll see where talks go.”
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 6
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 15
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 25
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)