Jun 26, 2013, 8:06 AM EDT
27-year-old forward Damien Brunner loved his rookie season with the Detroit Red Wings and doesn’t want to leave anytime soon. He’s scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent on July 5, but he would like to ink a multi-year deal, based on a Detroit Free Press report.
“We’ve had discussions,” Brunner’s agent, Neil Sheehy said. “We’re scheduled to talk again in New Jersey this weekend.”
Determining fair value for Brunner might be tricky given that he only has the lockout shortened season and a single playoff run under his belt as far as NHL experience goes.
On top of that, he was particularly streaky. He had 16 points in his first 19 games before going through a patch of just two goals in 25 contests. He bounced back and tied for third on the Red Wings in playoff scoring.
“Those are always issues,” Sheehy said. “If you have a long track record, it makes it easier. Nonetheless, he’s a good player. We’ll see where talks go.”
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)