Jun 26, 2013, 10:48 AM EDT
The Bruins held their locker clean-out/break-up day on Wednesday, with one notable exception — Patrice Bergeron.
The Boston forward did not attend the media session, as he has “been under observation at a local hospital since the conclusion of Game 6,” according to the Bruins’ Twitter account.
That Bergeron is under medical watch doesn’t come as a huge surprise, given reports he was playing with a broken rib, torn rib cartilage and a separated shoulder in the last game of the Stanley Cup Final.
What’s more, Bergeron was knocked out of Game 5 and sent to a Chicago-area hospital for observation with what was rumored to be a spleen injury.
Game 6 ended late Monday evening and given it’s now Wednesday morning, the injuries suffered were at least serious enough to keep him overnight in hospital, which begs the question — should Bergeron have played?
Some thoughts from Twitter:
Wow. Should he have played? RT @NHLBruins: Bergeron has been under observation at a local hospital since the conclusion of Gm 6
— James Mirtle (@mirtle) June 26, 2013
Obviously, the Bergeron news will lead to a lot of debate about being allowed to play. There’s still an information gap here…
— Elliotte Friedman (@FriedgeHNIC) June 26, 2013
As @FriedgeHNIC points out, there is an information gap on Bergeron. Let’s see why he has been in the hospital. But questions are legit.
— Nick Cotsonika (@cotsonika) June 26, 2013
UPDATE: Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli said Bergeron has a hole in his lung, thus explaining the hospital stay.
“It was a very small puncture (in the lung), but Patrice is fine now,” Chiarelli told CSNNE’s Joe Haggerty.
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 6
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 16
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 25
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 41
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 35
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 13