Jun 26, 2013, 10:48 AM EDT
The Bruins held their locker clean-out/break-up day on Wednesday, with one notable exception — Patrice Bergeron.
The Boston forward did not attend the media session, as he has “been under observation at a local hospital since the conclusion of Game 6,” according to the Bruins’ Twitter account.
That Bergeron is under medical watch doesn’t come as a huge surprise, given reports he was playing with a broken rib, torn rib cartilage and a separated shoulder in the last game of the Stanley Cup Final.
What’s more, Bergeron was knocked out of Game 5 and sent to a Chicago-area hospital for observation with what was rumored to be a spleen injury.
Game 6 ended late Monday evening and given it’s now Wednesday morning, the injuries suffered were at least serious enough to keep him overnight in hospital, which begs the question — should Bergeron have played?
Some thoughts from Twitter:
Wow. Should he have played? RT @NHLBruins: Bergeron has been under observation at a local hospital since the conclusion of Gm 6
— James Mirtle (@mirtle) June 26, 2013
Obviously, the Bergeron news will lead to a lot of debate about being allowed to play. There’s still an information gap here…
— Elliotte Friedman (@FriedgeHNIC) June 26, 2013
As @FriedgeHNIC points out, there is an information gap on Bergeron. Let’s see why he has been in the hospital. But questions are legit.
— Nick Cotsonika (@cotsonika) June 26, 2013
UPDATE: Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli said Bergeron has a hole in his lung, thus explaining the hospital stay.
“It was a very small puncture (in the lung), but Patrice is fine now,” Chiarelli told CSNNE’s Joe Haggerty.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 4
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 33
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)