Jun 25, 2013, 10:49 AM EDT
Since the start of the season, goaltender Corey Crawford has been arguably the most commonly doubted man on the Chicago Blackhawks’ roster. That was to be expected after his rough 2011-12 campaign, but it seemed at times like no amount of success could fully reverse that perception.
Whenever he had a rough game, the fear would be that it was a sign that the other shoe was dropping. Even as recently as last week, there were questions about whether he should be the team’s starter following his rough outing in Chicago’s 6-5 overtime victory in Game 4.
“I got a question the other day which kind of was surprising, ‘Who’s going to play your next game?’ It was obvious who’s playing our next game because he was the reason we were playing the next game,” Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville said in a CSN Chicago report.
“The scrutiny that he was under at the end of last year going into the season, if he was capable of getting through the regular season, let alone the playoffs. His preparation going into the year was in the right place. I thought his consistency was great.”
Crawford was part this year’s Jennings Trophy winning tandem and ended up with a 1.84 GAA and .932 save percentage in 23 postseason games.
“He obviously took a lot of heat over the last couple of years. And all he’s done is just played unreal from start to finish this year,” Chicago defenseman Duncan Keith said. “I can’t say enough about him. The pressure on him, to do what he did was unbelievable.”
As for Crawford, it doesn’t sound like this was all about proving himself to those who doubted him. This was about fulfilling a dream.
“I don’t know how many times we played for the Stanley Cup,” Crawford said, referring to his childhood games. “Obviously I had some great memories with (my brother) and my buddies. My family, the whole thing, everyone was behind me. They never quit on me. I couldn’t have done it without them.”
Mar 26, 2015, 11:30 PM EDT
Winnipeg grabbed a big win today, too.
Mar 26, 2015, 10:16 PM EDT
A tough win turned into a bitter OT loss.
Mar 26, 2015, 10:13 PM EDT
Will anyone else join them tonight?
Mar 26, 2015, 9:48 PM EDT
The real winners might be the Edmonton Oilers.
Mar 26, 2015, 9:12 PM EDT
Not a great night for Ottawa.
Mar 26, 2015, 8:58 PM EDT
Update your save of the year highlight packages.
Mar 26, 2015, 8:48 PM EDT
He seems OK after that tough, 2-on-1 check.
Mar 26, 2015, 8:41 PM EDT
Three goals allowed in 20 minutes by Detroit’s embattled starter.
Mar 26, 2015, 8:23 PM EDT
The Rangers forward felt encouraged by this latest step.
Mar 26, 2015, 7:03 PM EDT
He’s lining up with Brad Marchand and Patrice Bergeron to start.
Mar 26, 2015, 6:37 PM EDT
A Vladimir Tarasenko hit shook him up on Tuesday.
Mar 26, 2015, 5:40 PM EDT
Vermont power forward was the club’s third-round pick in 2011.
Mar 26, 2015, 4:56 PM EDT
Featuring Erik Karlsson, Marc Methot and a guest appearance from Curtis Lazar.
Mar 26, 2015, 4:37 PM EDT
The 43-year-old has been a big influence on his young linemates.
Mar 26, 2015, 4:09 PM EDT
Granted, they have to make them first.
Mar 26, 2015, 3:44 PM EDT
Bruce Boudreau continues to “experiment” on defense.
Mar 26, 2015, 3:20 PM EDT
“Hopefully we realize that, come together and allow this group to stay together.”
Mar 26, 2015, 2:44 PM EDT
An interesting comment from his agent.
Mar 26, 2015, 2:14 PM EDT
News and notes from around the crease…
Mar 26, 2015, 1:57 PM EDT
“We are all thinking the same way and going the same direction.”
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 12
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 20
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)