Jun 25, 2013, 11:20 AM EST
The San Jose Sharks have a good problem, but one that needs to be address nonetheless. They had defenseman Brent Burns serve as a forward during the 2013 campaign and the 28-year-old was successful in that role.
He’s also very appealing to use as an offensive defenseman, but he obviously can’t do everything at once. The Sharks want to pick a role for him sooner rather than later and Burns would probably appreciate that too given that it will influence how he prepares for the 2013-14 campaign, according to CSN Bay Area.
When they originally acquired Burns from Minnesota, they saw him as a possible long-term successor for blueliner Dan Boyle. He still might serve in that role, but the Sharks think that Boyle, 36, still has several years of NHL hockey left in him, so that’s not an urgent need.
Maybe if it was, Sharks GM Doug Wilson’s decision would be easier, but as it is, he’s still on the fence.
“It’s where we need to use him, and the timing of that this year, was we needed him up front,” Wilson said. “He filled a need for us. We wanted to play an attacking game. I don’t know how you defend against him because he doesn’t know what he’s doing, so how do they know? But, that was part of how we wanted to play. We’re coming after you, we’re attacking, and he fit perfectly.
“But he can also, when we get to the decision point, it could be a different decision this year than it could be next year.”
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 24
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (45)