Jun 25, 2013, 11:20 AM EDT
The San Jose Sharks have a good problem, but one that needs to be address nonetheless. They had defenseman Brent Burns serve as a forward during the 2013 campaign and the 28-year-old was successful in that role.
He’s also very appealing to use as an offensive defenseman, but he obviously can’t do everything at once. The Sharks want to pick a role for him sooner rather than later and Burns would probably appreciate that too given that it will influence how he prepares for the 2013-14 campaign, according to CSN Bay Area.
When they originally acquired Burns from Minnesota, they saw him as a possible long-term successor for blueliner Dan Boyle. He still might serve in that role, but the Sharks think that Boyle, 36, still has several years of NHL hockey left in him, so that’s not an urgent need.
Maybe if it was, Sharks GM Doug Wilson’s decision would be easier, but as it is, he’s still on the fence.
“It’s where we need to use him, and the timing of that this year, was we needed him up front,” Wilson said. “He filled a need for us. We wanted to play an attacking game. I don’t know how you defend against him because he doesn’t know what he’s doing, so how do they know? But, that was part of how we wanted to play. We’re coming after you, we’re attacking, and he fit perfectly.
“But he can also, when we get to the decision point, it could be a different decision this year than it could be next year.”
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 49
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)