Jun 25, 2013, 11:20 AM EDT
The San Jose Sharks have a good problem, but one that needs to be address nonetheless. They had defenseman Brent Burns serve as a forward during the 2013 campaign and the 28-year-old was successful in that role.
He’s also very appealing to use as an offensive defenseman, but he obviously can’t do everything at once. The Sharks want to pick a role for him sooner rather than later and Burns would probably appreciate that too given that it will influence how he prepares for the 2013-14 campaign, according to CSN Bay Area.
When they originally acquired Burns from Minnesota, they saw him as a possible long-term successor for blueliner Dan Boyle. He still might serve in that role, but the Sharks think that Boyle, 36, still has several years of NHL hockey left in him, so that’s not an urgent need.
Maybe if it was, Sharks GM Doug Wilson’s decision would be easier, but as it is, he’s still on the fence.
“It’s where we need to use him, and the timing of that this year, was we needed him up front,” Wilson said. “He filled a need for us. We wanted to play an attacking game. I don’t know how you defend against him because he doesn’t know what he’s doing, so how do they know? But, that was part of how we wanted to play. We’re coming after you, we’re attacking, and he fit perfectly.
“But he can also, when we get to the decision point, it could be a different decision this year than it could be next year.”
- Watch Live: Capitals at Islanders 1
- Sens turn to Anderson for Game 3 3
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 9
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 72
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 63
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 165
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 18
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 6
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 25
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (165)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)