Jun 25, 2013, 11:20 AM EDT
The San Jose Sharks have a good problem, but one that needs to be address nonetheless. They had defenseman Brent Burns serve as a forward during the 2013 campaign and the 28-year-old was successful in that role.
He’s also very appealing to use as an offensive defenseman, but he obviously can’t do everything at once. The Sharks want to pick a role for him sooner rather than later and Burns would probably appreciate that too given that it will influence how he prepares for the 2013-14 campaign, according to CSN Bay Area.
When they originally acquired Burns from Minnesota, they saw him as a possible long-term successor for blueliner Dan Boyle. He still might serve in that role, but the Sharks think that Boyle, 36, still has several years of NHL hockey left in him, so that’s not an urgent need.
Maybe if it was, Sharks GM Doug Wilson’s decision would be easier, but as it is, he’s still on the fence.
“It’s where we need to use him, and the timing of that this year, was we needed him up front,” Wilson said. “He filled a need for us. We wanted to play an attacking game. I don’t know how you defend against him because he doesn’t know what he’s doing, so how do they know? But, that was part of how we wanted to play. We’re coming after you, we’re attacking, and he fit perfectly.
“But he can also, when we get to the decision point, it could be a different decision this year than it could be next year.”
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)