Jun 25, 2013, 12:59 PM EDT
The Red Wings have a number of questions at the forward position.
Over the next six days, they’ll look to answer them.
Failing that, the Wings will make a decision on Monday, the day after the draft, to possibly use a compliance buyout. The the leading candidates are believed to be Mikael Samuelsson (one year remaining, $3 million) or Carlo Colaiacovo (one year remaining, $2.5 million).
It’s thought Tootoo could also be bought out. He has two years remaining on his deal (at $1.9 million per) and fell out of Mike Babcock’s favor midway through the season — Tootoo was a frequent healthy scratch down the stretch, and only appeared in one playoff game.
The club will also explore the option of trading Valtteri Filppula‘s negotiating rights should the two sides fail to reach an agreement on a new deal.
Filppula, 29, is in the final year of a five-year, $15 million deal and is rumored to be seeking a new long-term contract worth more than $5 million annually.
Detroit is reportedly not willing to commit that kind of term or money to the Finnish forward.
As such, it’s also believed Cory Emmerton could be made available in a trade as well.
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 23
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 16
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 44
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 55
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (55)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)