Jun 25, 2013, 12:59 PM EDT
The Red Wings have a number of questions at the forward position.
Over the next six days, they’ll look to answer them.
Failing that, the Wings will make a decision on Monday, the day after the draft, to possibly use a compliance buyout. The the leading candidates are believed to be Mikael Samuelsson (one year remaining, $3 million) or Carlo Colaiacovo (one year remaining, $2.5 million).
It’s thought Tootoo could also be bought out. He has two years remaining on his deal (at $1.9 million per) and fell out of Mike Babcock’s favor midway through the season — Tootoo was a frequent healthy scratch down the stretch, and only appeared in one playoff game.
The club will also explore the option of trading Valtteri Filppula‘s negotiating rights should the two sides fail to reach an agreement on a new deal.
Filppula, 29, is in the final year of a five-year, $15 million deal and is rumored to be seeking a new long-term contract worth more than $5 million annually.
Detroit is reportedly not willing to commit that kind of term or money to the Finnish forward.
As such, it’s also believed Cory Emmerton could be made available in a trade as well.
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 16
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 46
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 16
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 44
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 12
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 21
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 24
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 39