Jun 25, 2013, 12:59 PM EDT
The Red Wings have a number of questions at the forward position.
Over the next six days, they’ll look to answer them.
Failing that, the Wings will make a decision on Monday, the day after the draft, to possibly use a compliance buyout. The the leading candidates are believed to be Mikael Samuelsson (one year remaining, $3 million) or Carlo Colaiacovo (one year remaining, $2.5 million).
It’s thought Tootoo could also be bought out. He has two years remaining on his deal (at $1.9 million per) and fell out of Mike Babcock’s favor midway through the season — Tootoo was a frequent healthy scratch down the stretch, and only appeared in one playoff game.
The club will also explore the option of trading Valtteri Filppula‘s negotiating rights should the two sides fail to reach an agreement on a new deal.
Filppula, 29, is in the final year of a five-year, $15 million deal and is rumored to be seeking a new long-term contract worth more than $5 million annually.
Detroit is reportedly not willing to commit that kind of term or money to the Finnish forward.
As such, it’s also believed Cory Emmerton could be made available in a trade as well.
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 0
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 23
- Video: Controversial Kane goal has Laviolette fuming 18
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 6
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 2
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 36
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 45
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13