Jun 25, 2013, 12:59 PM EDT
The Red Wings have a number of questions at the forward position.
Over the next six days, they’ll look to answer them.
Failing that, the Wings will make a decision on Monday, the day after the draft, to possibly use a compliance buyout. The the leading candidates are believed to be Mikael Samuelsson (one year remaining, $3 million) or Carlo Colaiacovo (one year remaining, $2.5 million).
It’s thought Tootoo could also be bought out. He has two years remaining on his deal (at $1.9 million per) and fell out of Mike Babcock’s favor midway through the season — Tootoo was a frequent healthy scratch down the stretch, and only appeared in one playoff game.
The club will also explore the option of trading Valtteri Filppula‘s negotiating rights should the two sides fail to reach an agreement on a new deal.
Filppula, 29, is in the final year of a five-year, $15 million deal and is rumored to be seeking a new long-term contract worth more than $5 million annually.
Detroit is reportedly not willing to commit that kind of term or money to the Finnish forward.
As such, it’s also believed Cory Emmerton could be made available in a trade as well.
- Flames sign Devin Setoguchi 1
- Under Pressure: Turris, MacArthur & Ryan 1
- It’s Ottawa Senators day on PHT 11
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 11
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 26
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 19
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33