Jun 25, 2013, 6:30 PM EDT
The Edmonton Oilers will not use one of their two compliance buyouts on team captain Shawn Horcoff, despite an expensive contract and dropping point production.
According to Mark Spector, the Oilers aren’t going to buy Horcoff out, however the senior columnist for Sportsnet.ca stated on Twitter, “Do not take that to mean a compliance by out will not be used in EDM however. Quite possible.”
Horcoff, 34, still has two years remaining on a contract that pays him a combined $7 million over the next two seasons, and is a cap hit of $5.5 million.
His current six-year deal, worth $33 million, kicked in back in the 2009-10 season.
In the 2008-09 season, Horcoff scored 17 goals and had 53 points. For him, that capped off four straight seasons with at least 50 points.
But his offensive production has since been on the downward trend.
Last season, in 31 regular season games with the Oilers, Horcoff had seven goals and only 12 points during the lockout-shortened campaign.
Horcoff was drafted by the Oilers in 1998, and he began his playing career in Edmonton during the 2000-01 season.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 4
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 7
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)