Jun 25, 2013, 6:30 PM EDT
The Edmonton Oilers will not use one of their two compliance buyouts on team captain Shawn Horcoff, despite an expensive contract and dropping point production.
According to Mark Spector, the Oilers aren’t going to buy Horcoff out, however the senior columnist for Sportsnet.ca stated on Twitter, “Do not take that to mean a compliance by out will not be used in EDM however. Quite possible.”
Horcoff, 34, still has two years remaining on a contract that pays him a combined $7 million over the next two seasons, and is a cap hit of $5.5 million.
His current six-year deal, worth $33 million, kicked in back in the 2009-10 season.
In the 2008-09 season, Horcoff scored 17 goals and had 53 points. For him, that capped off four straight seasons with at least 50 points.
But his offensive production has since been on the downward trend.
Last season, in 31 regular season games with the Oilers, Horcoff had seven goals and only 12 points during the lockout-shortened campaign.
Horcoff was drafted by the Oilers in 1998, and he began his playing career in Edmonton during the 2000-01 season.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)