Jun 25, 2013, 6:30 PM EST
The Edmonton Oilers will not use one of their two compliance buyouts on team captain Shawn Horcoff, despite an expensive contract and dropping point production.
According to Mark Spector, the Oilers aren’t going to buy Horcoff out, however the senior columnist for Sportsnet.ca stated on Twitter, “Do not take that to mean a compliance by out will not be used in EDM however. Quite possible.”
Horcoff, 34, still has two years remaining on a contract that pays him a combined $7 million over the next two seasons, and is a cap hit of $5.5 million.
His current six-year deal, worth $33 million, kicked in back in the 2009-10 season.
In the 2008-09 season, Horcoff scored 17 goals and had 53 points. For him, that capped off four straight seasons with at least 50 points.
But his offensive production has since been on the downward trend.
Last season, in 31 regular season games with the Oilers, Horcoff had seven goals and only 12 points during the lockout-shortened campaign.
Horcoff was drafted by the Oilers in 1998, and he began his playing career in Edmonton during the 2000-01 season.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 4
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)