Jun 25, 2013, 6:30 PM EST
The Edmonton Oilers will not use one of their two compliance buyouts on team captain Shawn Horcoff, despite an expensive contract and dropping point production.
According to Mark Spector, the Oilers aren’t going to buy Horcoff out, however the senior columnist for Sportsnet.ca stated on Twitter, “Do not take that to mean a compliance by out will not be used in EDM however. Quite possible.”
Horcoff, 34, still has two years remaining on a contract that pays him a combined $7 million over the next two seasons, and is a cap hit of $5.5 million.
His current six-year deal, worth $33 million, kicked in back in the 2009-10 season.
In the 2008-09 season, Horcoff scored 17 goals and had 53 points. For him, that capped off four straight seasons with at least 50 points.
But his offensive production has since been on the downward trend.
Last season, in 31 regular season games with the Oilers, Horcoff had seven goals and only 12 points during the lockout-shortened campaign.
Horcoff was drafted by the Oilers in 1998, and he began his playing career in Edmonton during the 2000-01 season.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 9
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 18
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 49
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 54
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (54)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)