Jun 25, 2013, 6:30 PM EDT
The Edmonton Oilers will not use one of their two compliance buyouts on team captain Shawn Horcoff, despite an expensive contract and dropping point production.
According to Mark Spector, the Oilers aren’t going to buy Horcoff out, however the senior columnist for Sportsnet.ca stated on Twitter, “Do not take that to mean a compliance by out will not be used in EDM however. Quite possible.”
Horcoff, 34, still has two years remaining on a contract that pays him a combined $7 million over the next two seasons, and is a cap hit of $5.5 million.
His current six-year deal, worth $33 million, kicked in back in the 2009-10 season.
In the 2008-09 season, Horcoff scored 17 goals and had 53 points. For him, that capped off four straight seasons with at least 50 points.
But his offensive production has since been on the downward trend.
Last season, in 31 regular season games with the Oilers, Horcoff had seven goals and only 12 points during the lockout-shortened campaign.
Horcoff was drafted by the Oilers in 1998, and he began his playing career in Edmonton during the 2000-01 season.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 12
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 7
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 78
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)