Jun 25, 2013, 10:56 AM EDT
Thirty-six-year-old goaltender Mikka Kiprusoff still has one more season left on his contract with the Calgary Flames, but he might not play.
“If Calgary has not announced it, you guys can do that,” Kiprusoff reportedly said.
The Flames haven’t announced his retirement. In fact, if he really has made a decision, that would be news to the team, Sportsnet’s John Shannon reported.
That being said, if Kiprusoff has decided to call it a career, it wouldn’t shock them. Flames GM Jay Feaster recently confirmed that the netminder was leaning towards retirement.
Kiprusoff struggled mightily in 2013 with a 3.44 GAA and .882 save percentage in 24 games.
If this is the end of his career, he’ll be retiring with 319 wins, 2.49 GAA, and .912 save percentage in 623 career games. He was also the winner of the Vezina Trophy in 2006.
Update (12:32 p.m. ET)
Following is a statement from Flames general manager Jay Feaster:
“As we indicated when we addressed the media on June 14th, having just spoken with Miikka at that time, we realized that if pushed for an answer Miikka would have said that he was finished with his professional career. In light of our most recent meeting with him, the statement attributed to him by the Finnish National Team does not come as a surprise. However, as we have said consistently, we will continue our dialogue with Miikka.”
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 12
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 13
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)