Jun 25, 2013, 10:56 AM EST
Thirty-six-year-old goaltender Mikka Kiprusoff still has one more season left on his contract with the Calgary Flames, but he might not play.
“If Calgary has not announced it, you guys can do that,” Kiprusoff reportedly said.
The Flames haven’t announced his retirement. In fact, if he really has made a decision, that would be news to the team, Sportsnet’s John Shannon reported.
That being said, if Kiprusoff has decided to call it a career, it wouldn’t shock them. Flames GM Jay Feaster recently confirmed that the netminder was leaning towards retirement.
Kiprusoff struggled mightily in 2013 with a 3.44 GAA and .882 save percentage in 24 games.
If this is the end of his career, he’ll be retiring with 319 wins, 2.49 GAA, and .912 save percentage in 623 career games. He was also the winner of the Vezina Trophy in 2006.
Update (12:32 p.m. ET)
Following is a statement from Flames general manager Jay Feaster:
“As we indicated when we addressed the media on June 14th, having just spoken with Miikka at that time, we realized that if pushed for an answer Miikka would have said that he was finished with his professional career. In light of our most recent meeting with him, the statement attributed to him by the Finnish National Team does not come as a surprise. However, as we have said consistently, we will continue our dialogue with Miikka.”
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 14
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 19
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 52
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory (53)