Jun 25, 2013, 10:56 AM EDT
Thirty-six-year-old goaltender Mikka Kiprusoff still has one more season left on his contract with the Calgary Flames, but he might not play.
“If Calgary has not announced it, you guys can do that,” Kiprusoff reportedly said.
The Flames haven’t announced his retirement. In fact, if he really has made a decision, that would be news to the team, Sportsnet’s John Shannon reported.
That being said, if Kiprusoff has decided to call it a career, it wouldn’t shock them. Flames GM Jay Feaster recently confirmed that the netminder was leaning towards retirement.
Kiprusoff struggled mightily in 2013 with a 3.44 GAA and .882 save percentage in 24 games.
If this is the end of his career, he’ll be retiring with 319 wins, 2.49 GAA, and .912 save percentage in 623 career games. He was also the winner of the Vezina Trophy in 2006.
Update (12:32 p.m. ET)
Following is a statement from Flames general manager Jay Feaster:
“As we indicated when we addressed the media on June 14th, having just spoken with Miikka at that time, we realized that if pushed for an answer Miikka would have said that he was finished with his professional career. In light of our most recent meeting with him, the statement attributed to him by the Finnish National Team does not come as a surprise. However, as we have said consistently, we will continue our dialogue with Miikka.”
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 4
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 13
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)