Jun 25, 2013, 10:56 AM EDT
Thirty-six-year-old goaltender Mikka Kiprusoff still has one more season left on his contract with the Calgary Flames, but he might not play.
“If Calgary has not announced it, you guys can do that,” Kiprusoff reportedly said.
The Flames haven’t announced his retirement. In fact, if he really has made a decision, that would be news to the team, Sportsnet’s John Shannon reported.
That being said, if Kiprusoff has decided to call it a career, it wouldn’t shock them. Flames GM Jay Feaster recently confirmed that the netminder was leaning towards retirement.
Kiprusoff struggled mightily in 2013 with a 3.44 GAA and .882 save percentage in 24 games.
If this is the end of his career, he’ll be retiring with 319 wins, 2.49 GAA, and .912 save percentage in 623 career games. He was also the winner of the Vezina Trophy in 2006.
Update (12:32 p.m. ET)
Following is a statement from Flames general manager Jay Feaster:
“As we indicated when we addressed the media on June 14th, having just spoken with Miikka at that time, we realized that if pushed for an answer Miikka would have said that he was finished with his professional career. In light of our most recent meeting with him, the statement attributed to him by the Finnish National Team does not come as a surprise. However, as we have said consistently, we will continue our dialogue with Miikka.”
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 19
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 18
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 43
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 120
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 36
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 51
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 79
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7