Jun 25, 2013, 7:54 PM EST
Hockey Canada will reportedly look to the golden touch of Brent Sutter in hopes of bringing its national junior team back to a level of excellence at the IIHF World Junior Championship.
According to a tweet from TSN hockey insider Bob McKenzie, Hockey Canada will announce on Wednesday that Sutter has agreed to be the coach of its national junior team for the 2014.
Sutter has had success with Canada’s junior team in the past.
In 2005, with the NHL mired in the lockout that cancelled the entire season, Sutter coached the likes of Sidney Crosby, Patrice Bergeron, Mike Richards, Jeff Carter, Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry, Brent Seabrook and Shea Weber – among an impressive list of others – to a runaway gold medal victory.
The following year, he was behind the bench in Vancouver when Team Canada went on to repeat for the gold medal, making it the second in a run of five in a row.
Team Canada has not won a gold medal at the junior tournament since 2009 in Ottawa. This year, Canada finished out of the medals for the first time since 1998, placing a disappointing fourth.
Sutter went on to coach with the New Jersey Devils and Calgary Flames.
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 2
- Wounded Wing: Howard (MCL sprain) out 2-4 weeks 2
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 61
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 28
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 46
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 22
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 85
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)