Jun 25, 2013, 7:54 PM EST
Hockey Canada will reportedly look to the golden touch of Brent Sutter in hopes of bringing its national junior team back to a level of excellence at the IIHF World Junior Championship.
According to a tweet from TSN hockey insider Bob McKenzie, Hockey Canada will announce on Wednesday that Sutter has agreed to be the coach of its national junior team for the 2014.
Sutter has had success with Canada’s junior team in the past.
In 2005, with the NHL mired in the lockout that cancelled the entire season, Sutter coached the likes of Sidney Crosby, Patrice Bergeron, Mike Richards, Jeff Carter, Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry, Brent Seabrook and Shea Weber – among an impressive list of others – to a runaway gold medal victory.
The following year, he was behind the bench in Vancouver when Team Canada went on to repeat for the gold medal, making it the second in a run of five in a row.
Team Canada has not won a gold medal at the junior tournament since 2009 in Ottawa. This year, Canada finished out of the medals for the first time since 1998, placing a disappointing fourth.
Sutter went on to coach with the New Jersey Devils and Calgary Flames.
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 1
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 7
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 19
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 44
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 38
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)