Jun 25, 2013, 2:12 PM EDT
The deal, according to Jeremy Rutherford of the Post-Dispatch, is for $3.25 million.
Strickland reports the contract has been agreed to in principle (Berglund can’t officially sign until July 5) and, as expected, falls between the $3 million David Perron made in the first year of his deal, and the $3.375 million TJ Oshie made in the first of his.
Berglund, 25, was St. Louis’ first-round pick, 25th overall, at the 2006 NHL Entry Draft.
After posting career highs in goals (22) assists (30) and points (52) in 2010-11, he was rewarded with a two-year, $4.5 million deal, which will expire in 10 days.
This year, Berglund showed excellent finish around the net — he scored 17 goals in 48 games, which works out to 29 over a full NHL season — and finished fourth on the Blues in scoring, with 25 points.
His postseason, though, was disappointing.
The Swedish center was a non-factor for the Blues in their opening-round loss to the Kings, scoring just one goal in six games while finishing with a minus-3 rating. What’s more, he only put 11 shots on goal over the course of the series.
The slump was frustrating for both team and player, especially after Berglund had a good 2011-12 playoffs, scoring 3G-4A-7PTS in nine games.
The move to lock up Berglund is the first of many RFA deals for St. Louis. Chris Stewart, Alex Pietrangelo, Kevin Shattenkirk and Kris Russell are all restricted as well, and still need to have their new deals sorted out.
Jul 3, 2015, 12:46 PM EDT
Expected to battle Brian Elliott for the starting role in St. Louis.
Jul 3, 2015, 12:23 PM EDT
“It’s an exciting time to be a part of this organization.”
Jul 3, 2015, 11:44 AM EDT
Jul 3, 2015, 11:32 AM EDT
Bobby Sanguinetti to Buffalo; Sharks grab Mark Cundari.
Jul 3, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
Where he “contributed to the development of Jonathan Quick, Jonathan Bernier and Martin Jones.”
Jul 3, 2015, 11:19 AM EDT
How patiently will he wait?
Jul 3, 2015, 10:46 AM EDT
The 44th overall pick at the 2008 NHL Entry Draft.
Jul 3, 2015, 10:25 AM EDT
Plays a similar style to his dad.
Jul 3, 2015, 10:20 AM EDT
Their supporting casts haven’t been this strong in some time.
Jul 3, 2015, 9:20 AM EDT
Pictured listening to Patrick Roy; he’ll next listen to Dave Cameron.
Jul 3, 2015, 8:07 AM EDT
Friday’s collection of links.
Jul 2, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
He was fired by Toronto back in April.
Jul 2, 2015, 9:45 PM EDT
Doug Armstrong dipped into the free agency pool Thursday evening for some depth signings.
Jul 2, 2015, 8:45 PM EDT
They’re two-way contracts worth $650,000.
Jul 2, 2015, 7:50 PM EDT
He’s looking forward to playing with Ovechkin and Backstrom in Washington.
Jul 2, 2015, 6:50 PM EDT
They’ve also inked UFA Jordan Caron.
Jul 2, 2015, 6:00 PM EDT
It’s a one-year, two-way deal.
Jul 2, 2015, 5:15 PM EDT
Washington continues to load up.
Jul 2, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
There’s no “timetables for next steps,” according to NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly.
Jul 2, 2015, 4:45 PM EDT
The 27-year-old is looking forward to a fresh start in Pittsburgh.
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 3
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 5
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 59
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 58
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)