Jun 25, 2013, 2:12 PM EST
The deal, according to Jeremy Rutherford of the Post-Dispatch, is for $3.25 million.
Strickland reports the contract has been agreed to in principle (Berglund can’t officially sign until July 5) and, as expected, falls between the $3 million David Perron made in the first year of his deal, and the $3.375 million TJ Oshie made in the first of his.
Berglund, 25, was St. Louis’ first-round pick, 25th overall, at the 2006 NHL Entry Draft.
After posting career highs in goals (22) assists (30) and points (52) in 2010-11, he was rewarded with a two-year, $4.5 million deal, which will expire in 10 days.
This year, Berglund showed excellent finish around the net — he scored 17 goals in 48 games, which works out to 29 over a full NHL season — and finished fourth on the Blues in scoring, with 25 points.
His postseason, though, was disappointing.
The Swedish center was a non-factor for the Blues in their opening-round loss to the Kings, scoring just one goal in six games while finishing with a minus-3 rating. What’s more, he only put 11 shots on goal over the course of the series.
The slump was frustrating for both team and player, especially after Berglund had a good 2011-12 playoffs, scoring 3G-4A-7PTS in nine games.
The move to lock up Berglund is the first of many RFA deals for St. Louis. Chris Stewart, Alex Pietrangelo, Kevin Shattenkirk and Kris Russell are all restricted as well, and still need to have their new deals sorted out.
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 0
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 0
- Devils fire DeBoer 17
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 3
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 16
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)