Jun 25, 2013, 12:35 AM EDT
Boston Bruins head coach Claude Julien thinks that his team’s series finish against the Toronto Maple Leafs was crazier than Monday’s Stanley Cup-clinching 3-2 loss to the Chicago Blackhawks, but tonight was the “toughest” loss he’s experienced.
That doesn’t mean he’s down on his team, however.
” … I’m going to stand here and tell you how proud I am of our team, how those guys battled right until the end,” Julien said. “Without getting into all these injuries today because it’s not the time, we battled through a lot. You know, when you realize that you’re a couple wins away from a Stanley Cup and how those guys push through a lot of things, I have nothing but good things to say about it.”
He lamented a dominant first period that only ended up providing a 1-0 lead, but most of all, Julien said it hurts to fall just short of generating a championship for Boston following recent tragedies.
“You know, at the end of the day, I think that’s what hurts the most is in the back of our minds … we wanted to do it for those kind of reasons, the City of Boston, what Newtown has been through, that kind of stuff,” Julien said. “It hit close to home, and the best way we felt we could try and cheer the area [up] was to win a Stanley Cup.”
“I think that’s what’s hard right now for the players. We had more reasons than just ourselves to win a Cup.”
Maybe the title wasn’t there, but the Bruins put up an effort that a city – and head coach – can be proud of.
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 0
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 33
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 23
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- Bruins are 7/2 favorites to win the Stanley Cup; Blues next at 6/1 48
- End of an era: Trotz out as Nashville head coach 40
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)