Jun 25, 2013, 6:08 PM EDT
Tonight in Glendale, city councilors will present to the public and vote on a plan to use City Hall as collateral to help pay down the various “interfund” loans the city took out to pay the NHL to manage Jobing.com Arena, the home of the Coyotes.
Got all that?
From the Arizona Republic:
The debt the city seeks to repay goes back to two $25 million commitments the city made to the National Hockey League to operate the arena in fiscal 2011 and 2012, said Diane Goke, the city’s chief financial officer.
Glendale borrowed $45 million largely from its own enterprise funds, which are self-sustaining funds for such services as water and sewer and are separate from the city’s general fund.
If the council approves the plan, city officials will seek outside investors to lease back the City Hall complex for 20 years by making a one-time, up-front payment of $30 million.
We won’t get into all the details here, because, you know, pretty boring. If you’re desperate for more information, here’s a PDF.
Bottom line: Glendale is in quite the financial predicament, and the cash-strapped city still has a huge decision to make on whether to enter into a long-term arena-management deal with prospective Coyotes owners Renaissance Sports and Entertainment.
Of note, the NHL may reportedly make it easier on the city if the sale does go through.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 28
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 111
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 79
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (111)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (79)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)