Jun 25, 2013, 12:59 PM EDT
The Phoenix Coyotes have had fairly detailed contract talks with pending unrestricted free agent goalie Mike Smith; however, just like the team’s future in the desert remains uncertain, so does Smith’s future with the team.
“We’re still kind of working the process to see if there’s a gap to be bridged,” Coyotes general manager Don Maloney said Monday, per azcentral.com, “Is there a line to be crossed or nobody’s going to go any further?
“We feel comfortable with what we’ve thrown his way, and he feels comfortable where he’s at right now. The good thing for us is this isn’t July 4 where we have to make a decision … We have time to sort of mull it and digest it and figure out whether we want to go this route or not.”
Smith, 31, went 15-12-5 in 2013, finishing with a .910 save percentage, down from the .930 rate he registered in 2011-12 that earned him Vezina Trophy consideration.
It may be a good thing for the Coyotes that free agency falls on July 5, not July 1, this year, as the City of Glendale isn’t expected to vote on an essential arena-management deal with prospective owner Renaissance Sports & Entertainment until July 2.
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 0
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 3
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)