Jun 25, 2013, 12:59 PM EST
The Phoenix Coyotes have had fairly detailed contract talks with pending unrestricted free agent goalie Mike Smith; however, just like the team’s future in the desert remains uncertain, so does Smith’s future with the team.
“We’re still kind of working the process to see if there’s a gap to be bridged,” Coyotes general manager Don Maloney said Monday, per azcentral.com, “Is there a line to be crossed or nobody’s going to go any further?
“We feel comfortable with what we’ve thrown his way, and he feels comfortable where he’s at right now. The good thing for us is this isn’t July 4 where we have to make a decision … We have time to sort of mull it and digest it and figure out whether we want to go this route or not.”
Smith, 31, went 15-12-5 in 2013, finishing with a .910 save percentage, down from the .930 rate he registered in 2011-12 that earned him Vezina Trophy consideration.
It may be a good thing for the Coyotes that free agency falls on July 5, not July 1, this year, as the City of Glendale isn’t expected to vote on an essential arena-management deal with prospective owner Renaissance Sports & Entertainment until July 2.
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 31
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 29
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 64
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 14
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 21
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 37
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (65)