Jun 25, 2013, 7:16 PM EST
The numbers are in, and the grand conclusion of this year’s Stanley Cup Final was another boon for the National Hockey League, NBC and the NBC Sports Network.
According to the NBC Sports Group, Game 6 of the 2013 final between the Boston Bruins and Chicago Blackhawks was watched by 8.16 million viewers, making it “the most-watched game of the final.” The number of viewers for Game 6 peaked at 10.424 million.
But it gets better for NBC.
This year’s final averaged 5.76 million viewers across NBC and and NBC Sports Network, making it “the most-watched Stanley Cup Final on record.” (Data goes back to 1994)
It’s not hard to figure out why. The final between the two Original Six teams provided constant thrills, exceptional hockey and came down to the wire in all six games.
Three games were decided in overtime, including that spectacular triple overtime game to begin the series.
The drama hit its peak when the Blackhawks scored twice in a span of 17 seconds late in the third period to reverse a one-goal deficit into a one-goal lead, before hanging on for the final 59 seconds of regulation time to defeat the Bruins 3-2 and claim the Stanley Cup.
That makes it the second Stanley Cup for the Blackhawks in the last four years.
So, where does Monday’s game rank compared to the other “most-watched” playoff games for NBC?
The 4.7 household rating from Monday put it third on the top-five list of “most-watched” NHL games on NBC, dating back to 2006.
Below is the info graphic from NBC Sports Group. (Viewers in millions)
|1||Game 7||Boston at Vancouver||6/15/2011||4.8||8,537|
|2||Game 6||Chicago at Philadelphia||6/9/2010||4.7||8,279|
|3||Game 6||Boston at Chicago||6/24/2013||4.7||8,160|
|4||Game 7||Pittsburgh at Detroit||6/12/2009||4.3||7,992|
|5||Game 6||Detroit at Pittsburgh||6/4/2008||4.0||6,781|
The 2013 playoffs – not just the final – also included three of the five most-watched NHL games in NBC Sports Network history. (Viewers in millions)
|2013||Stanley Cup Final, Game 3||Chicago @ Boston||4.001 million|
|2013||Stanley Cup Final, Game 2||Boston @ Chicago||3.964|
|2010||Stanley Cup Final, Game 3||Philadelphia @ Chicago||3.600|
|2009||Stanley Cup Final, Game 4||Detroit @ Pittsburgh||3.448|
|2013||Conference Semi-Finals, Game 7||Detroit @ Chicago||3.354|
“For the entire playoffs, NBC, NBCSN and CNBC combined to average 1.467 million viewers for 84 games, making it the most-watched Stanley Cup Playoffs on record (since 1994),” stated the NBC Sports Group.
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 20
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 44
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)