Jun 24, 2013, 8:08 PM EDT
Shortly after Game 5, many were asking a more-than-reasonable question: which team benefits the most from Jonathan Toews and Patrice Bergeron missing Game 6 of the 2013 Stanley Cup Final? As Monday’s earlier reports indicated, the answer is “not applicable.”
Both players are ready to go tonight with Boston’s season on the line and Chicago eyeing its second recent Stanley Cup victory. Obviously, expecting them to be at 100 percent is probably unrealistic, despite what Toews might say.
It’s believed that Toews, 25, was shaken up by a Johnny Boychuk hit in Game 5. (Boychuk didn’t receive supplementary discipline for the check, which Chicago hasn’t raised too much of a stink about.)
The nature of the ailment(s) plaguing Bergeron, 27, are more mysterious. The cause is, too. Plenty of people have been entertained by guessing games regarding which of the two-way star’s organs are in a bad way, but chances are that we won’t find out what’s really bothering him until this series is over.
Either way, both Selke-winning centers are going to gut out the pain for another game or two, adding another bullet point to the “hockey players are tough” argument.
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 5
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 9
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 12
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)