Jun 24, 2013, 12:25 PM EDT
The quality of the ice at TD Garden has already been a topic for discussion (and profanity) during this Stanley Cup Final.
So not surprisingly, with high temperatures and humidity in Boston today, Bruins coach Claude Julien was asked about the playing surface ahead of tonight’s Game 6.
“I thought the ice this morning was in pretty good shape, and they’ve done a good job,” said Julien. “Walking in here yesterday with 90-plus degrees it was nice and cool in the arena.
“But those doors are going to open I would imagine and some of the heat will come in. But those are conditions that you have to play with at this time of year. Everybody has been through it, and two teams are going through the same conditions.
“Both teams are going to tell you the same truth; keep the game simple and try and avoid those mistakes from over-handling pucks in those kind of ice conditions.”
The consensus opinion is that poor ice conditions would favor the Bruins, a team that’s at its best when it keeps things simple and moves as a five-man unit with short passes.
With a dangerous transition attack, Boston also feasts on turnovers, which can be a byproduct of choppy ice.
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 22
- On ‘score effects,’ and the challenges of playing with the lead 6
- MacKinnon: Avs ‘shut ourselves down’ in Game 3, not Wild 16
- Bergeron, Kopitar and Toews named Selke finalists 23
- Report: Zetterberg to return to Detroit lineup tonight (Update: Game-time decision) 49
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 34
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 20
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 92
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 103
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)