Jun 24, 2013, 12:25 PM EDT
The quality of the ice at TD Garden has already been a topic for discussion (and profanity) during this Stanley Cup Final.
So not surprisingly, with high temperatures and humidity in Boston today, Bruins coach Claude Julien was asked about the playing surface ahead of tonight’s Game 6.
“I thought the ice this morning was in pretty good shape, and they’ve done a good job,” said Julien. “Walking in here yesterday with 90-plus degrees it was nice and cool in the arena.
“But those doors are going to open I would imagine and some of the heat will come in. But those are conditions that you have to play with at this time of year. Everybody has been through it, and two teams are going through the same conditions.
“Both teams are going to tell you the same truth; keep the game simple and try and avoid those mistakes from over-handling pucks in those kind of ice conditions.”
The consensus opinion is that poor ice conditions would favor the Bruins, a team that’s at its best when it keeps things simple and moves as a five-man unit with short passes.
With a dangerous transition attack, Boston also feasts on turnovers, which can be a byproduct of choppy ice.
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 23
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)