Jun 24, 2013, 12:25 PM EDT
The quality of the ice at TD Garden has already been a topic for discussion (and profanity) during this Stanley Cup Final.
So not surprisingly, with high temperatures and humidity in Boston today, Bruins coach Claude Julien was asked about the playing surface ahead of tonight’s Game 6.
“I thought the ice this morning was in pretty good shape, and they’ve done a good job,” said Julien. “Walking in here yesterday with 90-plus degrees it was nice and cool in the arena.
“But those doors are going to open I would imagine and some of the heat will come in. But those are conditions that you have to play with at this time of year. Everybody has been through it, and two teams are going through the same conditions.
“Both teams are going to tell you the same truth; keep the game simple and try and avoid those mistakes from over-handling pucks in those kind of ice conditions.”
The consensus opinion is that poor ice conditions would favor the Bruins, a team that’s at its best when it keeps things simple and moves as a five-man unit with short passes.
With a dangerous transition attack, Boston also feasts on turnovers, which can be a byproduct of choppy ice.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)