Jun 24, 2013, 10:35 AM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks are a single victory away from hoisting Lord Stanley’s Mug for the second time in the last four seasons.
On Saturday at the United Center, Chicago beat Boston 3-1 in Game 5 of the Stanley Cup Final, taking a 3-2 series lead and giving itself two close-out opportunities in the process.
And the ‘Hawks have Patrick Kane to thank.
The former No. 1 overall pick continued his flair for the dramatic in Game 5, scoring a pair of goals — including the game-winner — in what proved to be a hard-fought, tight-checking affair.
The goal cemented Kane as one of the league’s top performers in the clutch.
His resume now includes a hat trick vs. Vancouver in a Western Conference semifinal elimination game (2009), a Stanley Cup-winning OT goal (2010) and another hat-trick in an elimination game — last round against the Kings, where Kane knocked the defending champs out of the Western Conference finals (by scoring his third and final goal in double overtime, no less.)
The bigger news, aside from Kane’s heroics, was the war of attrition catching up to both clubs.
Chicago captain Jonathan Toews and Boston forward Patrice Bergeron were both knocked out of Game 6 with undisclosed injuries. Toews is believed to have been shaken up on a Johnny Boychuk hit midway through the contest, and didn’t return to play the third period.
Bergeron is thought to have suffered some sort of internal injury — rumors swirled of a spleen issue — and was admitted to Chicago-area hospital for observation during the game.
He was discharged and traveled with the team back to Boston, though.
Bruins head coach Claude Julien said he’s optimistic Bergeron will play in Game 6, which is understandable — if the Bruins want to prevent the ‘Hawks from capturing the Cup on their home ice, they’ll definitely need No. 37’s contributions.
Apr 18, 2015, 1:36 AM EDT
Another rough go for Crow.
Apr 18, 2015, 1:15 AM EDT
Crazy finish at Rogers Arena.
Apr 18, 2015, 12:59 AM EDT
Series now even at one.
Apr 18, 2015, 12:31 AM EDT
Talk about taking the game out of the officials’ hands.
Apr 17, 2015, 11:34 PM EDT
In Las Vegas.
Apr 17, 2015, 11:21 PM EDT
All the breaks seem to be going Chicago’s way.
Apr 17, 2015, 11:19 PM EDT
Second key player Nashville’s lost in as many games.
Apr 17, 2015, 10:52 PM EDT
Not a great start to the playoffs for Corey Crawford.
Apr 17, 2015, 10:46 PM EDT
Johnny Boychuk admits Isles let one slip away.
Apr 17, 2015, 10:12 PM EDT
Ottawa will need magic at home.
Apr 17, 2015, 9:53 PM EDT
Quite a comeback win for Washington.
Apr 17, 2015, 9:25 PM EDT
He blew the Islanders’ minds on this one.
Apr 17, 2015, 8:37 PM EDT
Updated with P.K. Subban’s booming goal.
Apr 17, 2015, 8:02 PM EDT
Awesome countered by awesomeness.
Apr 17, 2015, 7:02 PM EDT
He seemed tentative in warm-ups …
Apr 17, 2015, 6:39 PM EDT
Apr 17, 2015, 6:28 PM EDT
No pressure, kid.
Apr 17, 2015, 5:55 PM EDT
Game 2’s galore.
Apr 17, 2015, 5:07 PM EDT
“It seems when we lose a game everyone’s really focused to get back on the winning track.”
Apr 17, 2015, 4:05 PM EDT
Mike Fisher looks like he’s unable to go.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 4
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 18
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 44
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 46
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (65)