Jun 24, 2013, 10:35 AM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks are a single victory away from hoisting Lord Stanley’s Mug for the second time in the last four seasons.
On Saturday at the United Center, Chicago beat Boston 3-1 in Game 5 of the Stanley Cup Final, taking a 3-2 series lead and giving itself two close-out opportunities in the process.
And the ‘Hawks have Patrick Kane to thank.
The former No. 1 overall pick continued his flair for the dramatic in Game 5, scoring a pair of goals — including the game-winner — in what proved to be a hard-fought, tight-checking affair.
The goal cemented Kane as one of the league’s top performers in the clutch.
His resume now includes a hat trick vs. Vancouver in a Western Conference semifinal elimination game (2009), a Stanley Cup-winning OT goal (2010) and another hat-trick in an elimination game — last round against the Kings, where Kane knocked the defending champs out of the Western Conference finals (by scoring his third and final goal in double overtime, no less.)
The bigger news, aside from Kane’s heroics, was the war of attrition catching up to both clubs.
Chicago captain Jonathan Toews and Boston forward Patrice Bergeron were both knocked out of Game 6 with undisclosed injuries. Toews is believed to have been shaken up on a Johnny Boychuk hit midway through the contest, and didn’t return to play the third period.
Bergeron is thought to have suffered some sort of internal injury — rumors swirled of a spleen issue — and was admitted to Chicago-area hospital for observation during the game.
He was discharged and traveled with the team back to Boston, though.
Bruins head coach Claude Julien said he’s optimistic Bergeron will play in Game 6, which is understandable — if the Bruins want to prevent the ‘Hawks from capturing the Cup on their home ice, they’ll definitely need No. 37’s contributions.
Sep 4, 2015, 6:17 PM EDT
It’s reportedly worth $950K.
Sep 4, 2015, 5:05 PM EDT
Friday’s interesting tidbits in one spot.
Sep 4, 2015, 3:47 PM EDT
His critics get one fewer straw to grasp.
Sep 4, 2015, 2:25 PM EDT
He’ll reportedly work in the player development department.
Sep 4, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT
GM Jeff Gorton is excited to bring him back to New York.
Sep 4, 2015, 12:18 PM EDT
Everyone that was at his Hamburg home during the night of the alleged incident, to be exacted.
Sep 4, 2015, 11:47 AM EDT
He’s recovering from a broken right wrist.
Sep 4, 2015, 11:45 AM EDT
A summer of change provides “a fresh start.”
Sep 4, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
Less (or at least delayed) competition for Ben Bishop.
Sep 4, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT
He didn’t play beyond Feb. 25.
Sep 4, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Friday’s collection of links.
Sep 3, 2015, 10:46 PM EDT
He might serve on the Capitals’ third defensive pairing.
Sep 3, 2015, 9:20 PM EDT
He was Arizona’s second pick of the draft after Dylan Strome.
Sep 3, 2015, 7:52 PM EDT
Kane is under a police investigation.
Sep 3, 2015, 7:25 PM EDT
They took him under custody from jail and now he’s awaiting a hearing with an immigration judge.
Sep 3, 2015, 6:25 PM EDT
Can he find a role with the Flames given their deep blueline?
Sep 3, 2015, 4:57 PM EDT
“Antti was frustrated after Chicago send him [a] second time [to the] AHL and he told me truly how he felt.”
Sep 3, 2015, 3:25 PM EDT
His availability for the season opener is in doubt.
Sep 3, 2015, 2:03 PM EDT
Bruins d-man is using them as motivation for a bounce-back campaign.
Sep 3, 2015, 1:02 PM EDT
This should be good.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 7
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 8
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 33
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 24
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)