Jun 24, 2013, 3:39 PM EDT
The news came down on Monday as Sharks GM Doug Wilson conducted his annual pre-draft presser.
Havlat, 32, missed seven games regular-season games with a lower-body injury and nine playoff games with a groin issue. The Czech winger was hurt during San Jose’s opening-round series against Vancouver and tried to return for the Kings series, but lasted just a few minutes in his first game back and didn’t play again.
The situation between the Sharks and Havlat reportedly became acrimonious, according to CSN Bay Area:
In what could be perceived as a sign of frustration from the organization, Havlat was given a temporary locker stall in the Sharks’ dressing room at their practice facility between games six and seven against the Kings. To put that in perspective, AHL call-ups Freddie Hamilton, Alex Stalock, Matt Pelech and Matt Tennyson all had regular locker stalls.
In the press box for Game 7 at Staples Center, Havlat sat by himself, while the other Sharks scratches sat together on the complete opposite end in the seats set aside for visiting players.
Acquired from Minnesota exchange for Dany Heatley in 2011, Havlat has two seasons remaining on the six-year, $30 million deal signed with the Wild in ’09.
He’s owed $11 million in salary, and carries an average annual cap hit of $5 million.
Havlat’s time with the Sharks has been marked mostly by injury. He missed over 40 games in 2011-12 with lower-body and shoulder ailments, but did score 27 points in the 39 games he suited up for.
This year, his production fell off, scoring just 18 points in 40 games.
The Sharks could certainly use the cap relief of a Havlat buyout.
They have only 16 players under contract for next season with just over $6 million in available cap space, and still need to make decisions on RFAs T.J. Galiardi, James Sheppard, Andrew Desjardins and Jason Demers.
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 3
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 23
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)