Jun 24, 2013, 1:16 PM EDT
Update 2: Russo reports the cap hit is $3.42 million.
Backstrom, who’s spent his entire seven-season NHL career with the Wild, went 24-15-3 in 2013 with a .909 save percentage; however, the 35-year-old missed the playoffs with a sports hernia that required surgery and it was speculated the club may bid adieu to the pending unrestricted free agent.
Backstrom is coming off a four-year, $24 million deal. It’s almost certain his cap hit will fall from that $6 million level.
According to Russo, Backstrom was looking for at least a three-year commitment.
- Workhorse goalies, forwards from last season 9
- Five interesting players still on UFA market 34
- Trotz will still cheer for Preds ‘like crazy’ 4
- Hextall: Advanced statistics small, but meaningful part of Kings’ success 7
- Hayes sees opportunity with Rangers 27
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 14
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 7
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 30
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6