Jun 24, 2013, 1:16 PM EDT
Update 2: Russo reports the cap hit is $3.42 million.
Backstrom, who’s spent his entire seven-season NHL career with the Wild, went 24-15-3 in 2013 with a .909 save percentage; however, the 35-year-old missed the playoffs with a sports hernia that required surgery and it was speculated the club may bid adieu to the pending unrestricted free agent.
Backstrom is coming off a four-year, $24 million deal. It’s almost certain his cap hit will fall from that $6 million level.
According to Russo, Backstrom was looking for at least a three-year commitment.
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 11
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 56
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 32
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 9
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 48
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 22
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8