Jun 24, 2013, 4:33 PM EDT
Rumored as a potential compliance buyout candidate since being made a healthy scratch in the playoffs, Brad Richards told the New York Post he doesn’t know what his future with the club is.
“I would love to be back but I haven’t been told anything,” Richards told The Post. “That’s the truth.”
The 33-year-old has seven years remaining on his nine-year, $60 million contract at annual $6.67 million cap hit — one of the richest and potentially costliest deals in Rangers franchise history.
Assuming the club decides to buy him out, that is.
While his 2013 regular season wasn’t awful — 34 points in 46 games — Richards’ production completely fell off in the postseason, scoring just one goal in 10 games before ex-head coach John Tortorella scratched him for the final two games of the Boston series.
Of course, much has changed since then.
As mentioned, Totorella is now the ex-Rangers head coach — he’s been replaced by Alain Vigneault — and the Post reports Vigneault is “more likely than not” to give Richards a chance to redeem himself in 2013-14.
If that happens, the Rangers would leave the door open to using a compliance buyout on Richards next summer.
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 28
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 23
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)