Jun 24, 2013, 4:33 PM EST
Rumored as a potential compliance buyout candidate since being made a healthy scratch in the playoffs, Brad Richards told the New York Post he doesn’t know what his future with the club is.
“I would love to be back but I haven’t been told anything,” Richards told The Post. “That’s the truth.”
The 33-year-old has seven years remaining on his nine-year, $60 million contract at annual $6.67 million cap hit — one of the richest and potentially costliest deals in Rangers franchise history.
Assuming the club decides to buy him out, that is.
While his 2013 regular season wasn’t awful — 34 points in 46 games — Richards’ production completely fell off in the postseason, scoring just one goal in 10 games before ex-head coach John Tortorella scratched him for the final two games of the Boston series.
Of course, much has changed since then.
As mentioned, Totorella is now the ex-Rangers head coach — he’s been replaced by Alain Vigneault — and the Post reports Vigneault is “more likely than not” to give Richards a chance to redeem himself in 2013-14.
If that happens, the Rangers would leave the door open to using a compliance buyout on Richards next summer.
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 4
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 7
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 59
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 28
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 57
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 17
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 127
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (127)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc (59)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)