Jun 24, 2013, 4:33 PM EDT
Rumored as a potential compliance buyout candidate since being made a healthy scratch in the playoffs, Brad Richards told the New York Post he doesn’t know what his future with the club is.
“I would love to be back but I haven’t been told anything,” Richards told The Post. “That’s the truth.”
The 33-year-old has seven years remaining on his nine-year, $60 million contract at annual $6.67 million cap hit — one of the richest and potentially costliest deals in Rangers franchise history.
Assuming the club decides to buy him out, that is.
While his 2013 regular season wasn’t awful — 34 points in 46 games — Richards’ production completely fell off in the postseason, scoring just one goal in 10 games before ex-head coach John Tortorella scratched him for the final two games of the Boston series.
Of course, much has changed since then.
As mentioned, Totorella is now the ex-Rangers head coach — he’s been replaced by Alain Vigneault — and the Post reports Vigneault is “more likely than not” to give Richards a chance to redeem himself in 2013-14.
If that happens, the Rangers would leave the door open to using a compliance buyout on Richards next summer.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)