Jun 24, 2013, 4:33 PM EDT
Rumored as a potential compliance buyout candidate since being made a healthy scratch in the playoffs, Brad Richards told the New York Post he doesn’t know what his future with the club is.
“I would love to be back but I haven’t been told anything,” Richards told The Post. “That’s the truth.”
The 33-year-old has seven years remaining on his nine-year, $60 million contract at annual $6.67 million cap hit — one of the richest and potentially costliest deals in Rangers franchise history.
Assuming the club decides to buy him out, that is.
While his 2013 regular season wasn’t awful — 34 points in 46 games — Richards’ production completely fell off in the postseason, scoring just one goal in 10 games before ex-head coach John Tortorella scratched him for the final two games of the Boston series.
Of course, much has changed since then.
As mentioned, Totorella is now the ex-Rangers head coach — he’s been replaced by Alain Vigneault — and the Post reports Vigneault is “more likely than not” to give Richards a chance to redeem himself in 2013-14.
If that happens, the Rangers would leave the door open to using a compliance buyout on Richards next summer.
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 0
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 33
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 23
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- Bruins are 7/2 favorites to win the Stanley Cup; Blues next at 6/1 48
- End of an era: Trotz out as Nashville head coach 40
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)