Playoffs Tonight: Will ‘Hawks win the Cup tonight?

Jun 24, 2013, 8:04 AM EDT

CHICAGO, IL - JUNE 22: Patrick Sharp #10 of the Chicago Blackhawks skates on the ice prior to Game Five of the 2013 NHL Stanley Cup Final against the Boston Bruins at United Center on June 22, 2013 in Chicago, Illinois. (Photo by Jamie Squire/Getty Images) Getty Images

Game 6: Boston Bruins host Chicago Blackhawks (8:00 p.m. ET — NBC/Live Extra)
Chicago leads series 3-2

The Chicago Blackhawks started this season with a historic 21-0-3 run and could finish it tonight by claiming the Stanley Cup. Of course, no one is saying that it will be a simple matter to beat the Boston Bruins one final time. Not in Boston. Not after everything the Bruins have achieved to this point.

“We’re an experienced group that’s been through a lot,” Bruins coach Claude Julien said. “Not just that but we have a good group of guys that understand what’s at stake. They understand what’s happening, and they know what they need to do.”

“You’ve got to be careful,” Chicago forward Patrick Sharp said, “you’ve seen a couple years ago Boston was down 3-2, they won at home and then won Game 7 in Vancouver. We know this team is capable of coming back.

“For us I know it’s a big game, but you want to play it like it’s any other game, play the way we have all season, and try to pull one out here on the road.”

Anything is possible if Patrick Kane has another game like he had on Saturday when he beat Bruins goaltender Tuukka Rask twice to lead Chicago to a 3-1 victory. Kane is the Blackhawks’ playoff scoring leader and he’s been a big contributor in the Stanley Cup Final with three goals and five points in five games.

He’s also the man who won the 2010 Stanley Cup Final with his overtime marker in Game 6 against the Philadelphia Flyers. Is it possible that history might repeat itself tonight?

“I think the biggest thing is trying to help contribute anyway I can,” Kane said, “help this team get a win, especially the situation we’re in. You want to take advantage of it in the next game. We have a great opportunity. I’ll do whatever I can to help the team win, and it would be a great feeling.”

On the other side of the ice, Bruins forward Brad Marchand is one of the guys to keep an eye on. He’s not an offensive superstar like Kane, but he can be very dangerous when he’s hot and he was one of the guys that came up big for Boston late in the 2011 Stanley Cup Final.

He doesn’t have a point in this series, but…

“Well, if he’s going to be a streaky player I would hope that streak starts [tonight],” Julien said. “I don’t think he’s played terrible, but certainly he knows he can play better.”

Then of course, there’s the elephant in the room. The 2012 and 2013 Selke Trophy winners – Boston’s Patrice Bergeron and Chicago’s Jonathan Toews – are both questionable for Game 6. Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville is “optimistic” about Toews’ chances of playing while Julien would only say Bergeron is “day-to-day.”

Both of those players are so talented and help their teams in so many different ways that either loss would be hard to overcome. If one of them ends up playing and the other doesn’t, it could tip the scales of tonight’s contest.

At the same time though, these squads are so deep and so much is on the line that it’s hard to call either team the clear favorite of Game 6 regardless of what happens with Bergeron and Toews.

1. tripps3 - Jun 24, 2013 at 8:20 AM

Would love to see Kane get the cup winning goal again tonight. Go Hawks!

2. greenmtnboy31 - Jun 24, 2013 at 8:36 AM

Yes, Hawks in six. The Hawks speed has exposed the huge issue that is Boston’s slow, slothlike play. Chara in particular can’t keep up when the game is moving the way it has been and he was exposed again for a couple of more goals.

• dropthepuckeh - Jun 24, 2013 at 9:18 AM

Sloth-like play? How did they beat Toronto, NYR and Pitt and take two game against Chicago if they are so slow? You should go away for the summer while the elite teams finish this series. Chicago is an incredible team and if they win tonight or Wednesday then they certainly deserved the win but it won’t because the Bruins are too slow. The Bruins play a much different style of play but it seems to have worked pretty well so far. They aren’t built to play an open-it-up offensive game. I guarantee you there are many guys on Chicago who are hurting because “slow Chara” has destroyed them in front of the net and in the corners. It is a seven game series and those bruises get more painful each game. Desperate teams are very dangerous, one or two quick goals for Boston and momentum is shifted dramatically.

Bruins in 7. Parade Saturday.

• greenmtnboy31 - Jun 24, 2013 at 12:32 PM

The Bruins are too slow; that’s a given. That’s why the have to goon it up, turn the temp on the ice up a few degrees to soften it up and give them a chance to keep up. Beating Toronto or New York isn’t much of an accomplishment, except in Boston. They beat Pitt with a no-call on Jagr’s hooking on Malkin and slowing things down to their slothlike pace. It’s simple really, and no surprise that you can’t seem to keep up either.

• valoisjoeybfeld69 - Jun 24, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Chara can’t keep up because he’s running on fumes while other players, mostly hawks are running on a low tank. I wouldn’t be surprised to read after the series that Chara is being treated on IV to help him fuel his body. Coach J over played Chara during the playoffs and it has become obvious since game 2. The odds for the bruins winning 2 in a row to win the cup are dwindling rapidly.

• greenmtnboy31 - Jun 24, 2013 at 12:33 PM

Ahh, making excuses for Chara already. Everybody is worn out at this point. You don’t need to dream up some excuse for the really slow guy.

• valoisjoeybfeld69 - Jun 24, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Why would I need to make up excuses for Chara? It’s an observation, and no one has played more minutes than he has, and that’s a fact. I couldn’t care less who wins. Now please move on, and write something meaningful for a change.

3. dboldave - Jun 24, 2013 at 8:42 AM

I think a lot depends on whether Toews or Bergeron are playing. Once Toews/Bickel/Kane were put together the Hawks really got going and got two wins in huge games. Bergeron being out would be a huge hole but if both are out, I’d lean towards the Bruins winning and forcing a game 7.

4. hockey412 - Jun 24, 2013 at 8:56 AM

The Bruins looked like the Flyers in the last game, trying to goon it up and take cheap shots instead of focusing on the game. They had looked focused since the very end of the TML series, looked ridiculously focused especially during the Pittsburgh series…but that focus looked liked it had expired. THAT is what would concern me.

Breaking your stick on the goal after an empty netter, really? How is that goon? 12? I understand things happen out of emotion in the spur of the moment, but skating all the way to the other side of the rink to do it?

• dboldave - Jun 24, 2013 at 8:58 AM

I don’t think you know what goon really means. Breaking your stick after a tough loss in the Stanley Cup Finals is a goon move? LOL

• hockey412 - Jun 24, 2013 at 9:04 AM

I looked it up just now. There was a picture of Lucic.

Calling Lucic a goon (which he is, and his play showed it all night Saturday) may have thrown you off from the big picture there, skippy. Try to focus. My point is that they are losing focus. Breaking your stick DURING a tough loss (game wasn’t over) in the SCF speaks to a lack of focus.

• philtration - Jun 24, 2013 at 9:14 AM

Breaking your stick after a loss does NOT make you a goon….. but it does make you a crybaby.

• dboldave - Jun 24, 2013 at 9:15 AM

I see what you mean now, if he smashed his stick instantly after the goal went in, you can call it responding in the heat of the moment. Because he skated farther down the ice to do it, goon move! I always thought goons were players who had little to no actual hockey skills but were imposing fighters brought in to send a message. Clearly it’s guys who break expensive sticks after tough losses! The NHL needs to clean the game up and throw these stick breakers out of the league before the debris injures a player!

• hockey412 - Jun 24, 2013 at 9:30 AM

You’re still just not getting it. I’ll type slower for you….

Calling Lucic a goon is an independent criticism of him, and has thrown you off. Breaking his stick was not a goon move, it speaks to a complete lack of maturity and focus. His play, outside of breaking the stick, is what makes him a goon – very few outside of Boston would try to deny that. Hopefully this clears that whole “goon” thing up for you – sometimes we get stuck on certain things and can’t quite get it, so I’m hoping this puts it to rest for you.

• bigkniht37 - Jun 24, 2013 at 9:00 AM

thanks for your insight. last time I checked smashing your stick isn’t being a ‘goon’.

goon: a bully or thug, esp. one hired to terrorize or do away with opposition.

where in there does it say smashing a stick? thanks for being unbiased!

• hockey412 - Jun 24, 2013 at 9:05 AM

Good lord…focus…please…big picture. Please see above. I really don’t feel like going through that explanation again. Thanks for the comment!

• bigkniht37 - Jun 24, 2013 at 1:30 PM

judging by the amount of explanation you’ve had to make regarding your point kind of shows that you had no point to begin with (other than being an internet troll). smashing stick does not equal goon. if you wanted to make a point about looch being a goon, just come out and say it, don’t drag the stick smash into the equation of being a goon.

• dropthepuckeh - Jun 24, 2013 at 9:29 AM

What an idiotic statement. Have you ever been to a live NHL game? Players break their sticks on the boards all the time. It is an emotional game and these guys are passionate about the sport. Guys get frustrated all the time. Chicago should be happy that Lucic took his frustration out on the stick and not on one of their players. He looked plenty focused to me.

• hockey412 - Jun 24, 2013 at 9:35 AM

They don’t skate to the other end of ice to do it after an empty netter in a SCF game. If Lucic looked plenty focused to you in that loss which takes them to the edge of a series loss (a game in which he spent more time trying to start fights than he did with the puck on his stick) then I’d hope for a repeat performance this evening from him. Either way, the B’s appear to have lost focus (like the responses to this comment string).

• dropthepuckeh - Jun 24, 2013 at 9:43 AM

So now there are appropriate ways and times during the game to break your stick? You still sound like a moron. The game was over and he was pissed, who cares. Bruins win tonight and Lucic scores. Hopefully nobody smashes a stick in the SCF, in the 3rd period, on Monday, at the bench, with .03 seconds on the clock, at the end of a shift….

• hockey412 - Jun 24, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Holy, holy crap, dude. I have no ‘problem’ with the goon smashing his stick…is that better???? Now, BACK TO THE POINT, maybe? Boston’s players didn’t seem any more focused than you are on the original point of the article or comment. Focused on a whole lot of other horse sh*t, like this conversation. Lucic is a goon that wasn’t playing the right way – bad-mouthing, pretending to be a bad-as*, trying to start fights, or stick up for a guy that is 6’9″, and yes, even smashing his stick and going out of this way to be a cry-baby and show his frustration to the entire building, isn’t going to win the game. Or the series. So suck it up, get over it, and MOVE ON. BLACKHAWKS IN 6. DEAL.

• gallyhatch - Jun 24, 2013 at 11:28 AM

I like seeing 412 use words like maturity & focus, he’s trying to hide the fact that objectivity is thrown right out the window when he talks about the Bruins.

This guy is a troll who brings nothing even remotely intelligent to the table, he’s just one more whining crybaby fan whose team got eliminated by the Bruins. He feels the need to come on here & remind everyone how emotionally wounded he is that his team lost by constantly talking crap about the Bruins. It’s pretty awesome to know the team I support has this kind of effect on people.

He won’t admit which team he roots for because his hypocrisy would be on full display, and he can’t have that now, can he?

I would say get over it & move on 412, but you clearly lack the ‘maturity & focus’ to do that.

Keep up the good work man, you expose yourself more & more with every post!

5. burgh916 - Jun 24, 2013 at 9:11 AM

I for one hope Chicago wins the cup.
    But for everyone’s sake I hope its on their home ice.
    I would have to turn the ceremony off, I couldn’t imagine how classless it would be with Boston losing on their home ice. I imagine a ton of things thrown, perhaps some chants. Who knows, but I wouldn’t doubt it for a second.

• dboldave - Jun 24, 2013 at 9:19 AM

Hopefully if the win happens tonight on the Bruins ice the fans keep it classy. They need to take a page out of Vancouver’s book and take to the streets to riot.

• burgh916 - Jun 24, 2013 at 9:23 AM

Haha, well it’s true, I know I’ll get the thumbs down when I put that out there because the Boston Strong just skim a comment and if it isn’t anything good about them they dislike. However, the truth is they chant “A**hole”, and “Bullsh*t” when calls don’t go their way, also, numerous bottles tossed onto the ice. It would be a disgrace to have the cup presented with all of this happening, and it’s a real possibility.

• dropthepuckeh - Jun 24, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Wow, they chant profanity when they don’t get a call?? I can’t imagine that happening in any other arena in hockey. Have you ever been to a game junior? If you had you would know they can’t throw bottles on the ice because arena’s don’t sell bottles. Maybe make sure mommy puts on your earmuffs tonight for the big bad game because they say bad words. I hope you didn’t hear Shaw or Rask swear in their interviews. The nerve!

• burgh916 - Jun 24, 2013 at 9:44 AM

@dropthepuckeh

Your logic is so flawed its incredible. Do you know how many arenas DON’T resort to chants of profanity? A simple “boo” does the trick. I swear more than the average Joe, but in a public building with kids, come on. Stay classy my friend.
        bottle: http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/1864uprwngey8jpg/k-bigpic.jpg
        Other than that, whatever they may throw on the ice, I’ve seen it numerous times in the Pens series, and the finals. Towels, gear, what have you, things have been thrown on the ice.

• dropthepuckeh - Jun 24, 2013 at 10:07 AM

I’m pretty sure both Boston and Chicago know how to handle winning and losing gracefully. No need for folks with empty arenas right now to chime in on how to react. I for one will be at my seat until the end and applauding whoever wins tonight.

• burgh916 - Jun 24, 2013 at 10:39 AM

“No need for folks with empty arenas to chime in on how to react.”
        Typical, got it, team isn’t playing right now, so opinion doesn’t matter. Kudos.
        The logic, it’s fairly simple. Don’t trash the ice, and chant vulgarity.
        You seem to not be able to grasp this?
        I wouldn’t be surprised if you’re one of those people tossing stuff on the ice and giving everyone the finger.
        Just come out and say it already, you seem to have a hard time understanding what’s considered respectful, and what isn’t.

• dropthepuckeh - Jun 24, 2013 at 10:51 AM

No, I have every idea what is respectful. Additionally, I wouldn’t risk my season tickets for some mindless act of stupidity and throw something on the ice. I also don’t chant profanities because there are kids around my seats but I don’t mind when others do and I certainly don’t get a soap box and criticize them or tell them what to do.

I’m sorry your team got swept by a harder working Bruins team. Deal with it. I suppose you have video evidence of the big bad Bruins fans you would like to submit as evidence. Ask Crosby’s agent to put it together. If Chicago wins tonight I will be cheering them celebrating even as a Bruins fan. Sorry to ruin your little smear campaign dude.

• burgh916 - Jun 24, 2013 at 11:06 AM

It’s clearly not a smear campaign when Boston does a pretty terrible job of covering it up.
        That’s the problem. You know not to chant profanities because of the kids around, during our NYI series I saw what seemed like an 8 yr old kid giving our player the finger in the Penalty Box, come on now.
        Like I said, I do these things more than the average person as well, I’ve just been raised with the respect of not doing it in public.
        Some people don’t have filters.
        Good discussion though, enjoy the game!!

• greenmtnboy31 - Jun 24, 2013 at 12:38 PM

Speaking of exposed galleysnatch, how is it that the Bruins are dumb enough to keep sending Chara out when he is constantly being exposed for how slow he is and the other team keeps putting the bisquet in the basket when he’s on the ice. I see Chara come on the ice now and everyone knows to get ready for another Chicago goal. That is a FACT.

Now, you, puckeh and the other Bruins lightweights go ahead with your responses.

• gallyhatch - Jun 24, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Really green mountain?

By your logic, Chara must have only had 2 shifts on Saturday.

If that’s your ‘A-game’ that you’re bringing right now you should take the rest of the day off.

FYI, I gave you a thumbs up for consistently raising the bar for stupidity around here.

Love your posts!!!

• bildomatic - Jun 24, 2013 at 9:23 AM

Obviously as a B’s fan I hope they win tonight, but if they do lose I pray that Boston fans respect the moment and let the Hawks have their moment without being morons. Go B’s!

• burgh916 - Jun 24, 2013 at 9:25 AM

Great comment! I agree, I think it’s a real possibility ANY fanbase can have that happen for sure.

• chicagobtech - Jun 24, 2013 at 10:05 AM

The only lack of class I expect to hear after the Blackhawks win tonight is the usual booing of Bettman. You may not like the man, but respect the office.

6. girouxed - Jun 24, 2013 at 9:35 AM

The bruins are going to come out tonight playing as hard as they have ever played all season. Blackhawks should match.

Its going to be a great game.

7. hammerhead5573 - Jun 24, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Since I believed from the beginning it will go 7, I will not be surprised if the Hawks lost tonight, nor will I be upset. There is no dishonor in either of these 2 great teams taking it to game 7. To me that means both teams gave everything for 7 straight games. Now with that said, is it freakin 8:00 yet. Good god can this day be any longer

8. tripps3 - Jun 24, 2013 at 10:34 AM

Great finals – can’t be said enough. Two great cities and teams. Wish all finals were like this.

9. jhuck92 - Jun 24, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Claude Julien has been reduced to “hoping” Marchand can contribute and be streaky. Just like Mike Yeo during that 1st-round series, Julien knows he’s on the ropes. They’ve come back before against Vancouver and more recently Toronto, but let’s not forget how they blew a 3-0 series lead against the Flyers in 2010. He doesn’t sound very confident in his players.

10. sprtsfan1 - Jun 24, 2013 at 11:37 AM

Towes looks like he’s good to go for tonight! On the ice for the entire morning skate. We’ll see if he makes it through warm-ups tonight. No sign of Berg for Boston though.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches