Jun 24, 2013, 12:45 PM EDT
You may recall around a month ago when we wondered if Canucks defenseman and pending restricted free agent Chris Tanev was making the smart choice by deciding to represent himself — with some help from his dad, Mike — in contract negotiations.
The decision to negotiate without the advice of an agent was an interesting one, given RFA negotiations can be some of the most complex and contentious (see: PK Subban).
So we can’t say we were shocked to read that Tanev, 23, has, in fact, decided to hire Vancouver-based agent Ross Gurney to get a deal done with the Canucks.
“In the best interests of Christopher, we have decided to get an agent involved at this stage of the game,” Mike Tanev told The Province on Monday. “His expertise will hopefully bring this to a quick conclusion.”
Gurney is the same guy who got Colorado’s David Jones $16 million over four years, so he must be pretty good.
- Subban, Habs can’t agree to terms before arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 19
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 63
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 8
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 31
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)