Jun 24, 2013, 2:27 PM EST
The Tampa Bay Lightning aren’t sure whether Joe Sakic is bluffing or not when he says the Avalanche will be taking a forward, not defenseman Seth Jones, with the first overall pick at the June 30 NHL draft.
“Who knows what they’re thinking?” Darryl Plandowski, the Lightning’s head amateur scout, told the Tampa Bay Times. “I think it’s smart of (Sakic) putting up a little controversy to get conversation going and people thinking. I saw one comment where someone said, ‘That’s a big smokescreen,’ and that might be. But he’s got the No. 1 pick. He can do what he wants.”
What the Lightning do know is that their third overall selection — right after Florida picks second — should nab them a pretty good player regardless.
Certainly, Tampa Bay could use an upgrade on defense if Jones is still available. If not, with Martin St. Louis getting up there in years, winger Jonathan Drouin could make a nice future linemate for Steven Stamkos.
It seems unlikely Nathan MacKinnon will still be available at No. 3, though you never know.
Dec 27, 2014, 11:47 PM EST
Some controversy in this game, too.
Dec 27, 2014, 11:02 PM EST
Same old, same old.
Dec 27, 2014, 10:48 PM EST
Holy puck possession!
Dec 27, 2014, 10:27 PM EST
Physical game between these teams.
Dec 27, 2014, 9:46 PM EST
These teams, as we all know, don’t care for each other.
Dec 27, 2014, 9:32 PM EST
Dec 27, 2014, 8:48 PM EST
This had been brewing for some time.
Dec 27, 2014, 8:27 PM EST
No call on the play.
Dec 27, 2014, 8:05 PM EST
Injury occurred on a clean hit along the boards.
Dec 27, 2014, 7:28 PM EST
Interesting times for the Devils.
Dec 27, 2014, 7:00 PM EST
Starting to tighten up in the Eastern Conference standings.
Dec 27, 2014, 6:26 PM EST
Minnesota has recalled John Curry.
Dec 27, 2014, 6:02 PM EST
Was fired three games into the 2013-14 season.
Dec 27, 2014, 5:24 PM EST
St. Louis will host the Dallas Stars.
Dec 27, 2014, 4:46 PM EST
Will that last?
Dec 27, 2014, 4:15 PM EST
He’s been dealing with a back injury.
Dec 27, 2014, 3:27 PM EST
There was plenty of controversy surrounding the single-punch incident on Nov. 21.
Dec 27, 2014, 2:32 PM EST
Jagr from less than two weeks ago: “(Firing DeBoer) would be one of the biggest mistakes they could make.”
Dec 27, 2014, 1:37 PM EST
He missed four games.
Dec 27, 2014, 12:42 PM EST
He won’t need to undergo surgery.
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 0
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 2
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 50
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (50)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)