Jun 24, 2013, 4:37 PM EDT
Fresh off winning the Vezina Trophy, but still without an NHL contract for next season, Blue Jackets goalie Sergei Bobrovksy has received the full-court press from KHL president Alexander Medvedev, who would love to see the young Russian leave North America to sign with SKA St. Petersburg.
“I’ve met Sergei and his agent. We held negotiations, an offer was made,” said Medvedev, per R-Sports. “Now the player has to make his decision. The choice is his.”
Though the NHL is undoubtedly the best hockey league in the world, Medvedev — who’s also a director of SKA — doesn’t believe that signing in Russia for big money would mark a “step backwards” for Bobrovsky.
“We think that this is an excellent offer for Sergei to continue his career, a return to his home league, to a strong team,” Medvedev said.
It remains unclear how seriously Bobrovsky, 24, is considering the KHL as an alternative, or if he’s mostly using it as leverage in negotiations with the Jackets.
Bobrovsky can become an NHL restricted free agent on July 5; however, as the Columbus Dispatch reports, his obligation to the Jackets expires on July 1, at which point he’s free to sign overseas.
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 36
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)