Jun 24, 2013, 4:37 PM EDT
Fresh off winning the Vezina Trophy, but still without an NHL contract for next season, Blue Jackets goalie Sergei Bobrovksy has received the full-court press from KHL president Alexander Medvedev, who would love to see the young Russian leave North America to sign with SKA St. Petersburg.
“I’ve met Sergei and his agent. We held negotiations, an offer was made,” said Medvedev, per R-Sports. “Now the player has to make his decision. The choice is his.”
Though the NHL is undoubtedly the best hockey league in the world, Medvedev — who’s also a director of SKA — doesn’t believe that signing in Russia for big money would mark a “step backwards” for Bobrovsky.
“We think that this is an excellent offer for Sergei to continue his career, a return to his home league, to a strong team,” Medvedev said.
It remains unclear how seriously Bobrovsky, 24, is considering the KHL as an alternative, or if he’s mostly using it as leverage in negotiations with the Jackets.
Bobrovsky can become an NHL restricted free agent on July 5; however, as the Columbus Dispatch reports, his obligation to the Jackets expires on July 1, at which point he’s free to sign overseas.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 7
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 34
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 97
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 87
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 19
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (97)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (87)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)