Jun 24, 2013, 4:37 PM EDT
Fresh off winning the Vezina Trophy, but still without an NHL contract for next season, Blue Jackets goalie Sergei Bobrovksy has received the full-court press from KHL president Alexander Medvedev, who would love to see the young Russian leave North America to sign with SKA St. Petersburg.
“I’ve met Sergei and his agent. We held negotiations, an offer was made,” said Medvedev, per R-Sports. “Now the player has to make his decision. The choice is his.”
Though the NHL is undoubtedly the best hockey league in the world, Medvedev — who’s also a director of SKA — doesn’t believe that signing in Russia for big money would mark a “step backwards” for Bobrovsky.
“We think that this is an excellent offer for Sergei to continue his career, a return to his home league, to a strong team,” Medvedev said.
It remains unclear how seriously Bobrovsky, 24, is considering the KHL as an alternative, or if he’s mostly using it as leverage in negotiations with the Jackets.
Bobrovsky can become an NHL restricted free agent on July 5; however, as the Columbus Dispatch reports, his obligation to the Jackets expires on July 1, at which point he’s free to sign overseas.
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal 51
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions 166
- Jets can’t let Kane situation fester much longer 54
- Report: Sidney Crosby will undergo wrist surgery 59
- Kane: ‘I’m a Winnipeg Jet right now… we’ll see what happens’ 51
- McDavid, Eichel top Central Scouting Futures list 14
- Columnist: Mike Green is ‘destined to be traded’ by Caps 40
- Spezza: ‘I’m just a piece to the puzzle’ in Dallas 32
- Ovechkin ‘upset’ at Grabovski departure, happy with defensive signings 18
- Washington Capitals were free agency’s biggest spenders 15
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions (168)
- Pros and cons of Subban filing for arbitration (67)
- Giroux apologizes, calls actions a ‘misguided attempt at humor’ (64)
- Boyle wanted Big Apple after playing in ‘nontraditional hockey markets’ of Florida, California (63)
- Report: Sidney Crosby will undergo wrist surgery (59)