Jun 24, 2013, 3:37 PM EST
The Vancouver Canucks have called a press conference for tomorrow at 1 p.m. local time when it’s expected they’ll announce the hiring of head coach John Tortorella.
Suffice to say, this should be interesting.
First off, how will general manager Mike Gillis explain the hiring? Did he feel the team needed a kick in the behind? Also, what kind of system does he want Tortorella to employ? Gillis has said he likes an ‘an upbeat, fast style of play’, yet Tortorella was apparently fired by the Rangers for dictating too much of a dump-and-chase game.
And, of course, there’s the whole media-relations angle — what kind of a first impression will Tortorella make on the assembled horde of eager Vancouver reporters, and vice-versa? The hiring has already been lambasted by at least one prominent sports columnist in Vancouver.
Might be worth noting that Alain Vigneault, who the Canucks fired in May, was a big hit with the New York media when he was introduced as the Rangers’ new head coach last week.
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 2
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 5
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 5
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 19
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 16
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 3
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 16
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 24
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)