Jun 24, 2013, 3:37 PM EST
The Vancouver Canucks have called a press conference for tomorrow at 1 p.m. local time when it’s expected they’ll announce the hiring of head coach John Tortorella.
Suffice to say, this should be interesting.
First off, how will general manager Mike Gillis explain the hiring? Did he feel the team needed a kick in the behind? Also, what kind of system does he want Tortorella to employ? Gillis has said he likes an ‘an upbeat, fast style of play’, yet Tortorella was apparently fired by the Rangers for dictating too much of a dump-and-chase game.
And, of course, there’s the whole media-relations angle — what kind of a first impression will Tortorella make on the assembled horde of eager Vancouver reporters, and vice-versa? The hiring has already been lambasted by at least one prominent sports columnist in Vancouver.
Might be worth noting that Alain Vigneault, who the Canucks fired in May, was a big hit with the New York media when he was introduced as the Rangers’ new head coach last week.
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 4
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 2
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 15
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 33
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 15
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 15
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 11
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 46