Discuss: Blackhawks win Stanley Cup with stunning comeback

Jun 24, 2013, 10:57 PM EDT

hawkscelegetty Getty Images

The Boston Bruins advanced beyond the first round with a stunning late scoring barrage. They saw their season end when the opposite happened, as the Chicago Blackhawks scored two goals in 17 seconds to win 3-2, taking the Stanley Cup on Monday.

In a word: wow.

Let’s try to discuss this despite our minds being collectively blown.

• The Conn Smythe winner will be announced soon. Who deserves it in your mind, though?
  • Well, what a game for Jonathan Toews. He scored a goal and collected an assist when it wasn’t even clear that he would play.
  • How much money did Bryan Bickell make with the game-tying goal and this playoff run, in general?
  • Do Toronto Maple Leafs fans feel better after seeing Boston suffer a similarly stunning fate or do they just want to be left alone?
  • Uh, what happened? We’re all just picking up the pieces. Where does this game rank in the craziest endings from the 2013 playoffs? What about all-time

160 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. LampyB - Jun 24, 2013 at 11:43 PM

How is it possible that Kane won over Crawford? This blew my mind.

• Mr. Wright 212 - Jun 25, 2013 at 2:01 AM

I had Crawford also. Mild surprise there for me.

• greenmtnboy31 - Jun 25, 2013 at 9:38 AM

No surprise with Kane. He was a monster and Boston had no answer for him. In the end it was Chicago’s speed overcoming some pretty brutal officiating and a slow Boston team. Time to put Chara out to pasture, he’s too slow for the NHL. Awesome game to be at.

2. r8rbhawk - Jun 24, 2013 at 11:47 PM

Congrats Boston on a great playoffs! That said, what a series! This just goes to show there are no conspiracies in the NHL. Did anyone forsee the Hawks scoring 2 goals in the last 90 seconds of regulation…hell no. I was 90 seconds away from logging in to stubhub to buy tickets for game 7. I’m not upset that I saved my money :) I am glad to see this generation of Hawks was able to pull off what my childhood heroes (Roenick, Belfour, Chelios) never could; beat Jagr in the finals. What a series!

3. nothanksimdriving123 - Jun 24, 2013 at 11:55 PM

I would have loved a Game 7, but as a Leafs fan, to see the Bruins get their rug pulled out from under their skates in the last minute, well, as a mature individual fully able to sympathize with their agony, I say LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL. :-)

• drewzducks - Jun 25, 2013 at 12:17 AM

As a Leafs fan the idea of a game 7 should make you cringe, then , of course, CHOKE !

• nothanksimdriving123 - Jun 25, 2013 at 12:44 AM

Nah, first I knew the Leafs wouldn’t be in this one, and second I had little doubt the Chicago noise would prevail. But thanks to a stunning, double lightning strike, we’ll never know. My jaw still hurts from hitting the floor after the winning goal. And as a mature adult, I also freely admit enjoying seeing the commish getting all that crowd love. But tip of the cap to him for showing up and toughing it out. What a great series!

• apkyletexas - Jun 25, 2013 at 12:57 AM

>”well, as a mature individual fully able to sympathize with their agony, I say LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.”

You’re never too old to rub it in on Boston fan as they lose another heartbreaker. Story of their lives – it’s in their DNA to expect defeat to be snatched from the jaws of victory.

4. triathlon4410 - Jun 24, 2013 at 11:55 PM

I saw the Conn Smythe presentation… Is it possible that the hometown team was saying “Tuuka” and not booing anyone? Has the Conn Smythe gone to a losing team player? He was phenomenal and responsible for the Bruins getting to the Stanley Cup. Although this series was done in six, Boston could have easily been the one who one it in six games had one OT game and a few bounces gone their way. As much as Chicago earned this win tonight by playing with heart, they got some good bounces. Had the game winner hit the pipe and not came straight out, there wouldn’t have been a goal and we would probably still be in OT tonight.

PS: I am a Penguins fan and can admit that Boston was the better team, but to say the B’s smoked us is an overstatement. They dominated us in Games 1 and 2, but Games 3 and 4 were exactly how all of the games in this series were played and very entertaining. In fact, a few bounces in the Pen favor in Game 1 and the game could have been like Game 4 shoot out of this series. Any fan of hockey would have seen the same exciting games during the regular season between these teams. Personally, I think the Penguins jinxed themselves by wearing the “B-Strong” shirt when they played Boston, but they were demonstrating what the true reason is for having sports; to bring people together (even opponents).

Congrats to both the Bruins and Blackhawks and of course, LET’S GO PENS!!! ;)

• triathlon4410 - Jun 24, 2013 at 11:57 PM

“*one who won it”

• desertfan - Jun 25, 2013 at 9:18 AM

Patrick Roy

• greenmtnboy31 - Jun 25, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Quit whining, the much better team won.

Ron Hextall won the Conn Smythe as the losing goalie.

Despite some really questionable penalties against Chicago, the Hawks overcame.

If, if, if. The B’s smoked the Pens; you can’t change a sweep. Chicago is the much better team, Boston was luckyh to hang on as long as they did and the west in general is better hockey.

The NHL needs to get to work right away on improving their officiating.

• jackrabbit56 - Jun 25, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Going way back, Glenn Hall of the Blues won the Conn Smythe despite losing four straight games to the Canadiens in 1967. They were 4 one goal games, two of which went to OT.

• bhunter47 - Jun 25, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Jean-Sebastien Giguere won the Conn Smythe Trophy for the Anaheim Mighty Ducks in 2003 even though the Ducks lost to the Devils in 7 games, due to his absurd postseason run.

• perlaezra6 - Jun 27, 2013 at 5:34 PM

before I saw the bank draft which had said $8101, I have faith that…my… neighbour actually earning money part-time on their computer.. there mums best friend haz done this for only 22 months and recently paid the depts on there cottage and bourt a great Mitsubishi Evo. this is where I went, Go to site and open Home for details
        sun-sentinel.com

5. Mr. Wright 212 - Jun 25, 2013 at 12:00 AM

Love seeing Boston CHOKE. Worst fans in all of sports, that city.

Rask’s luck ran out, the Cinderella coach turned into a pumpkin after Game 3 ha.

• drewzducks - Jun 25, 2013 at 12:21 AM

A fan of the laughing stock of the NBA commenting on a sport he clearly knows nothing about? How rich. Go Nix! 40 years of ineptitude and counting.

• Mr. Wright 212 - Jun 25, 2013 at 1:58 AM

Laughingstock? Only by inferiority complex laden yokels who project their insecurities onto the Knicks because they feel inferior to New York and New Yorkers lmao.

And I have forgotten more hockey than you’ll ever know, fool.

• drewzducks - Jun 25, 2013 at 2:11 AM

Inferior and the Nix definitely belong in the same sentence. If you don’t think Spikes team is a laughingstock then you have pretty low expectations, even for a New Yorker. Based upon your prior NBA postings it’s safe to say that you know as little about hockey as you do about basketball.

• Mr. Wright 212 - Jun 25, 2013 at 3:26 AM

Again, I’ve forgotten more about every sport that I post about than people like you (who make it clear that you don’t know nearly as much as you think) who come at me with your tripe will ever even know. Period.

• apkyletexas - Jun 25, 2013 at 12:59 AM

>”Worst fans in all of sports, that city.”

Hard to disagree…

• drewsylvania - Jun 25, 2013 at 8:09 AM

This must be Steven Wright, because he’s a joke.

• drewzducks - Jun 25, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Agreed. Steven Wright is a funny guy who I met at Fenway on two separate occasions. Mr. Wrong is, well, just wrong.

• jpaq68 - Jun 25, 2013 at 8:53 AM

They are the worst sports fans out there – except for football – they run a close second to the fans in Buffalo on that one.

6. foleysfish - Jun 25, 2013 at 1:07 AM

Hawks did it! Boston was one hell of a opponent. I said this all series that hawks 4th line would win them the Cup and they did. For coach Q to put them out there in that situation really says a lot about how deep this team is. Frolik, and Kruger were the grinders that just never stopped. And Dave Bolland on the 4th line I would have thought it but wow did it pay off. Hats off to the whole team. Just my opinion but Crawford should have got the conn smithe. Time to Party!

7. ronthecubsfan - Jun 25, 2013 at 1:50 AM

I was really surprised by the Conn Smythe – I fully expected Rask to win it. He stopped Crosby and Malkin cold and had more shutouts than any other goalie in the playoffs.

The award is supposed to be for the most outstanding player in the playoffs, not just from the winning team.

• Mr. Wright 212 - Jun 25, 2013 at 1:59 AM

He also gave up 12 goals in 3 games. Nope.

• Mr. Wright 212 - Jun 25, 2013 at 2:00 AM

And Crawford would have still deserved it more than Rask (which is who I thought would have won it, not Kane).

Bergeron was also more outstanding than Lucky Rask.

• greenmtnboy31 - Jun 25, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Agreed Bergeron was the B’s best player, but Kane was the best of them all.

Well deserved for Kane and nice kick I the teeth for Boston and their obnoxious fans that have been posting on these forums.

• jrhawk - Jun 25, 2013 at 10:16 AM

The Conn Smythe is voted on by hockey writers. 5 were from Boston, 5 from Chicago and 5 “at large”. There ya go.

8. Mr. Wright 212 - Jun 25, 2013 at 2:02 AM

I’m still trying to figure how why Boston fans were taunting Crawford so much in Games 3, 4 and 6, when Rask just got exposed and obliterated in three straight games, including twice at home in embarrassing fashion? LMFAO

• drewsylvania - Jun 25, 2013 at 8:10 AM

Because every crowd does it to the opposing goaltender regardless of how good he’s playing?

You don’t watch hockey.

• drewzducks - Jun 25, 2013 at 10:15 AM

As a Knicks fan, he doesn’t watch basketball either.

9. slysipops - Jun 25, 2013 at 2:05 AM

oh so sorry Bfans…… all the empty B.S. promises are sooooo gone bye/ bye ! even with the zebras trying their best to get the BRUINS to a game 7 ….IT DIDN’T WORK !! oh and hey what happened to your reborn retiree? did he get the sniffles and have to go to the locker room ? just shows ya, money can’t buy you love ! it also was so great to see BOY/CHUCK get burned at the end………..couldn’t have happened to a more deserving guy ( unless it was CHA CHA ) !!!!!!

• Mr. Wright 212 - Jun 25, 2013 at 2:35 AM

I thought the Ruins were on their way to about 30 power plays at the rate they were going with these officials who hadn’t called some of that stuff ALL PLAYOFFS LONG until tonight.

• drewsylvania - Jun 25, 2013 at 8:12 AM

I hope your cover letters don’t look like that.

10. sassiecassie69 - Jun 25, 2013 at 2:11 AM

epic Stanley cup finals from two great original teams. this has truly been a great series. but only one team can win. one goal! one win! one cup! one team! CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS!!!!!!!!

11. pizzano7416 - Jun 25, 2013 at 4:42 AM

Stop crying you sore loser Bruins fans… If you can’t take a little ballbusting then don’t dish it out.

12. drewsylvania - Jun 25, 2013 at 8:46 AM

My god, Wright. You think the Rangers were close to winning the Boston series?

If you watch hockey, you’re doing it drunk or something.

13. jpaq68 - Jun 25, 2013 at 8:52 AM

Thank God. This is just one less excuse for those Boston jerk to bring up the Marathon bombing. Iswear, if I have to hear one more person from Boston bring that up again I’m going to puke (and you know it would be the very first thing that would come out of their mouths).

14. jrhawk - Jun 25, 2013 at 10:27 AM

My Blackhawks have won the Stanley Cup!!!
    To the decent, respectful Bruins fans, I offer a HUGE congrats!! Amazing series and an Amazing Team!!!

15. ronocca - Jun 25, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Having watched hockey since the late 50s and the original eight this felt like a throwback game. I expected the all to take off their helmets except for Plant and Mikita. Seeing the cut on Shaw stream blood as he hoisted the Cup was definitely throwback.

Great series, greater game – I didn’t blink. Go Black Hawks. (we never called them Hawks like all you young whippersnappers)

16. jimeejohnson - Jun 25, 2013 at 3:47 PM

To the Penguins fan “whammy” (or something like it): if you want to see how a Stanley Cup Parade is done, watch the one in Chicago.

17. nofunleague - Jun 25, 2013 at 5:32 PM

I was pulling for Chicago so I guess I got lucky but one thing is for certain. Pittsburgh and baby Sydney still stink and are probably still crying. Good series this.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches