Jun 23, 2013, 2:47 PM EDT
Right when you thought the Flyers might be this summer’s busiest team, here come the Toronto Maple Leafs.
TSN’s Darren Dreger and Bob McKenzie both say they’ve heard rumblings that Leafs captain Dion Phaneuf is available for trade. Dreger says Leafs GM Dave Nonis will trade anyone but hasn’t received calls on Phaneuf as of yet. That might change now that everyone knows he could be had.
There are plenty of teams who could use a No. 1 defenseman and Phaneuf fits that billing. Curiously enough, Toronto is a team that already needs help in their top-four on the blue line and dealing the team captain would have to net an upgrade there.
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 9
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 27
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 42
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 38
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)