Jun 22, 2013, 11:41 PM EDT
Chicago already has a Captain Serious.
Maybe it’s time for a Captain Clutch.
On Saturday night at the United Center, Patrick Kane staked claim to that moniker, scoring two goals – including the game-winner — to give the Blackhawks a 3-1 win over Boston in Game 5 of the Stanley Cup Final.
“It’s not a coincidence that Kaner makes the big goals,” ‘Hawks defenseman Niklas Hjalmarsson said. “He wants the puck when it comes down to the wire.”
Chicago head coach Joel Quenneville tried to explain what makes Kane so special.
“Kaner’s got high-end skill,” Quenneville said following the game. “He’s dangerous with the puck. His anticipation without it offensively is high-end.”
High-end skill is one thing, sure, but if Kane has shown a singular defining characteristic over this playoff run and playoff runs prior, it’s a flair for the dramatic
In 2009, he delivered his first major knockout blow — a hat-trick in Game 6 of the Western Conference finals against Vancouver, eliminating the Canucks from playoff contention.
In 2010, he scored the Cup-winning goal against Philadelphia, finishing Game 6 in overtime to give Chicago its first championship in 49 years.
This year, he KOed the defending champion Los Angeles Kings in the Western Conference finals with (another) three-goal epic, and outdid his stellar ’09 hat trick by scoring the third and final goal in double overtime.
Then, there were tonight’s heroics.
Both of Kane’s tallies displayed the type of high-end skill Quenneville alluded to, including the game-winner — No. 88 roofed home a backhand that knocked Tuukka Rask‘s water bottle off the top of the net.
“Guys [like Kane] have kind of an innate skill in scoring, being a top player,” Quenneville explained. “They anticipate like the rest of us would like to.”
Kane now has six goals in his last seven games, and leads the Blackhawks in scoring in the Stanley Cup Final with three goals, two assists and five points.
Yet in the end, it won’t be the number of goals that defines Kane.
It’ll be the way that he scored them, the times that he scored them, and the legacy he’s building as one of the NHL’s most productive players in pressure situations.
“The difference in this game,” NBC’s Liam McHugh said during tonight’s broadcast, “is the man, the myth, the mullet.”
Apr 16, 2014, 10:59 AM EDT
So, what happens now with Evander Kane?
Apr 16, 2014, 10:39 AM EDT
Click inside to see…
Apr 16, 2014, 9:51 AM EDT
Tampa Bay’s top-six would have been in trouble without them.
Apr 16, 2014, 8:58 AM EDT
His solid regular season will be overshadowed by whatever he does in the playoffs.
Apr 16, 2014, 8:04 AM EDT
Previewing the first round.
Apr 16, 2014, 7:30 AM EDT
Going up against a pretty good team in L.A.
Apr 16, 2014, 7:00 AM EDT
Add yours in the comments section.
Apr 16, 2014, 1:14 AM EDT
Well, that’s good for St. Louis.
Apr 16, 2014, 12:15 AM EDT
Apr 15, 2014, 11:17 PM EDT
They’ve struggled after the Olympics.
Apr 15, 2014, 10:15 PM EDT
It was a tough season in Buffalo.
Apr 15, 2014, 9:31 PM EDT
“It puts a lot more pressure on everybody else,” says Nathan MacKinnon.
Apr 15, 2014, 8:25 PM EDT
After losing the No. 1 pick to Colorado last year.
Apr 15, 2014, 8:05 PM EDT
Anders Lindback gets the start.
Apr 15, 2014, 7:14 PM EDT
Didn’t practice Tuesday.
Apr 15, 2014, 6:55 PM EDT
Heck, will Steve Mason even be available?
Apr 15, 2014, 6:43 PM EDT
Just days after another group of ex-players filed last Thursday.
Apr 15, 2014, 5:31 PM EDT
What about the Stars over the Ducks?
Apr 15, 2014, 5:16 PM EDT
“He’s relentless,” according to Craig MacTavish.
Apr 15, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
“I don’t think I can screw it up too bad whoever I choose.”
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 2
- PHT Morning Skate: Two top scoring duos collide in Ducks vs. Stars 0
- Pressing Question: Can the Sharks get over past playoff hurdles? 4
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 23
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 9
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 37
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)