Jun 22, 2013, 9:15 AM EDT
Phoenix getting head coach Dave Tippett to commit to them for five more years yesterday was quite the coup for the franchise whose future is still up in the air. To get him to come back, they may have had to pay up in a big way.
Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos reports that Tippett’s five-year contract is worth $2 million per season and has a out clause after each season if he doesn’t like new ownership or relocation. If true, that’s the sort of deal you can command when you’re the coach who has, up until this point, saved hockey in the desert. That’s also the same kind of money Alain Vigneault is reportedly getting to coach the New York Rangers.
In four seasons as Coyotes head coach, Tippett is 156-96-42 and has led the team to the postseason in three of those years. To say he’s not worth that kind of cash would be wrong, but for a team that’s still having its financial decisions made by the league, it seems like a huge payout.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 14
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (56)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)