Jun 22, 2013, 12:22 PM EST
Carolina could prove to be one of the more intriguing teams to watch at the NHL Draft next weekend.
Chip Alexander of the Raleigh News & Observer says GM Jim Rutherford could be looking to move out of the fifth overall spot in the first-round and move down if the player they’re looking for is gone. He adds the team also isn’t looking to move up to get said player. That’s a bit of ambivalent way to look at the draft, but unless you know who they want, the door is open for teams to pitch an offer.
The Hurricanes are in dire need of top-level defensemen. Dangling the No. 5 pick to a team with a defenseman to spare that’s looking to move up in the draft could be the plan here. With top-pair blue liners coming at a premium, finding a team lower in the draft with one to spare that’s looking for a potential future elite forward is the key.
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 0
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 52
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (52)