Jun 22, 2013, 12:22 PM EST
Carolina could prove to be one of the more intriguing teams to watch at the NHL Draft next weekend.
Chip Alexander of the Raleigh News & Observer says GM Jim Rutherford could be looking to move out of the fifth overall spot in the first-round and move down if the player they’re looking for is gone. He adds the team also isn’t looking to move up to get said player. That’s a bit of ambivalent way to look at the draft, but unless you know who they want, the door is open for teams to pitch an offer.
The Hurricanes are in dire need of top-level defensemen. Dangling the No. 5 pick to a team with a defenseman to spare that’s looking to move up in the draft could be the plan here. With top-pair blue liners coming at a premium, finding a team lower in the draft with one to spare that’s looking for a potential future elite forward is the key.
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 40
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 56
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (56)