Jun 22, 2013, 11:24 PM EST
Chicago Blackhawks head coach Joel Quenneville was predictably vague but seemingly optimistic about Jonathan Toews‘ chances of playing in Game 6 after suffering an injury in Game 5 of the Stanley Cup Final.
Quenneville describes the 25-year-old’s injury as an upper-body issue but wouldn’t answer a question about it possibly being a concussion. That’s certainly worth noting since Toews admitted to suffering from – and playing through – concussion symptoms in the 2011-12 season.
He’s “hopeful” that Toews can suit up for Monday’s Game 6, stating that his presence on the bench was probably a good sign.
“We’ll see how he is tomorrow,” Quenneville said.
Here’s Boychuk’s take, via Mark Lazerus of the Chicago Sun-Times:
“I came across and read it and hit him,” Boychuk said. “I tried to hit him clean and I thought it was.”
It’s unclear if that hit is the sole culprit for Toews’ condition, as Quenneville said that he wasn’t sure if Boychuk’s hit did it.
“I don’t think it was a defining blow,” Quenneville said. “I’m not sure exactly [about] the incident.”
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 0
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 4
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 1
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 10
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 10
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 16
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)