Jun 22, 2013, 11:24 PM EST
Chicago Blackhawks head coach Joel Quenneville was predictably vague but seemingly optimistic about Jonathan Toews‘ chances of playing in Game 6 after suffering an injury in Game 5 of the Stanley Cup Final.
Quenneville describes the 25-year-old’s injury as an upper-body issue but wouldn’t answer a question about it possibly being a concussion. That’s certainly worth noting since Toews admitted to suffering from – and playing through – concussion symptoms in the 2011-12 season.
He’s “hopeful” that Toews can suit up for Monday’s Game 6, stating that his presence on the bench was probably a good sign.
“We’ll see how he is tomorrow,” Quenneville said.
Here’s Boychuk’s take, via Mark Lazerus of the Chicago Sun-Times:
“I came across and read it and hit him,” Boychuk said. “I tried to hit him clean and I thought it was.”
It’s unclear if that hit is the sole culprit for Toews’ condition, as Quenneville said that he wasn’t sure if Boychuk’s hit did it.
“I don’t think it was a defining blow,” Quenneville said. “I’m not sure exactly [about] the incident.”
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 30
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 3
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 12
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 24
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 51
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)