Jun 22, 2013, 11:24 PM EDT
Chicago Blackhawks head coach Joel Quenneville was predictably vague but seemingly optimistic about Jonathan Toews‘ chances of playing in Game 6 after suffering an injury in Game 5 of the Stanley Cup Final.
Quenneville describes the 25-year-old’s injury as an upper-body issue but wouldn’t answer a question about it possibly being a concussion. That’s certainly worth noting since Toews admitted to suffering from – and playing through – concussion symptoms in the 2011-12 season.
He’s “hopeful” that Toews can suit up for Monday’s Game 6, stating that his presence on the bench was probably a good sign.
“We’ll see how he is tomorrow,” Quenneville said.
Here’s Boychuk’s take, via Mark Lazerus of the Chicago Sun-Times:
“I came across and read it and hit him,” Boychuk said. “I tried to hit him clean and I thought it was.”
It’s unclear if that hit is the sole culprit for Toews’ condition, as Quenneville said that he wasn’t sure if Boychuk’s hit did it.
“I don’t think it was a defining blow,” Quenneville said. “I’m not sure exactly [about] the incident.”
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 12
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 25
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)