Jun 22, 2013, 11:24 PM EDT
Chicago Blackhawks head coach Joel Quenneville was predictably vague but seemingly optimistic about Jonathan Toews‘ chances of playing in Game 6 after suffering an injury in Game 5 of the Stanley Cup Final.
Quenneville describes the 25-year-old’s injury as an upper-body issue but wouldn’t answer a question about it possibly being a concussion. That’s certainly worth noting since Toews admitted to suffering from – and playing through – concussion symptoms in the 2011-12 season.
He’s “hopeful” that Toews can suit up for Monday’s Game 6, stating that his presence on the bench was probably a good sign.
“We’ll see how he is tomorrow,” Quenneville said.
Here’s Boychuk’s take, via Mark Lazerus of the Chicago Sun-Times:
“I came across and read it and hit him,” Boychuk said. “I tried to hit him clean and I thought it was.”
It’s unclear if that hit is the sole culprit for Toews’ condition, as Quenneville said that he wasn’t sure if Boychuk’s hit did it.
“I don’t think it was a defining blow,” Quenneville said. “I’m not sure exactly [about] the incident.”
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 75
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 3
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 33
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Expansion process underway as NHL sends out applications (94)
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues (75)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)