Jun 22, 2013, 11:24 PM EDT
Chicago Blackhawks head coach Joel Quenneville was predictably vague but seemingly optimistic about Jonathan Toews‘ chances of playing in Game 6 after suffering an injury in Game 5 of the Stanley Cup Final.
Quenneville describes the 25-year-old’s injury as an upper-body issue but wouldn’t answer a question about it possibly being a concussion. That’s certainly worth noting since Toews admitted to suffering from – and playing through – concussion symptoms in the 2011-12 season.
He’s “hopeful” that Toews can suit up for Monday’s Game 6, stating that his presence on the bench was probably a good sign.
“We’ll see how he is tomorrow,” Quenneville said.
Here’s Boychuk’s take, via Mark Lazerus of the Chicago Sun-Times:
“I came across and read it and hit him,” Boychuk said. “I tried to hit him clean and I thought it was.”
It’s unclear if that hit is the sole culprit for Toews’ condition, as Quenneville said that he wasn’t sure if Boychuk’s hit did it.
“I don’t think it was a defining blow,” Quenneville said. “I’m not sure exactly [about] the incident.”
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)