Jun 22, 2013, 3:15 PM EDT
After a disappointing finish to their season, the Anaheim Ducks’ offseason is at least shaping up to be limited on drama.
Eric Stephens of the Orange County Register reports the Ducks won’t be using either of their compliance buyouts this summer. With a handful of recently signed long-term deals just starting and a shortage of bad money deals elsewhere, there’s no need to buy anyone out. The Ducks are also doing well against the salary cap.
According to CapGeek.com, the Ducks’ payroll is at $52 million for next season and they have 19 players under contract. With about $12 million to spend to fill out the rest of the roster, their issues don’t lie in cutting costs. Instead, Anaheim’s problems surround which players to sign back before free agency.
The Ducks have 11 free agents-to-be this summer and only two of them are restricted (Kyle Palmieri and Matt Beleskey). Veterans like Teemu Selanne, Saku Koivu, and Toni Lydman figure to get the most attention before the Ducks go looking elsewhere to fill spots in the lineup. Stephens says the Ducks will give Selanne as much time as he needs to decide if he’ll return next season or retire while Koivu appears set to return.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (58)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)