Jun 22, 2013, 3:15 PM EST
After a disappointing finish to their season, the Anaheim Ducks’ offseason is at least shaping up to be limited on drama.
Eric Stephens of the Orange County Register reports the Ducks won’t be using either of their compliance buyouts this summer. With a handful of recently signed long-term deals just starting and a shortage of bad money deals elsewhere, there’s no need to buy anyone out. The Ducks are also doing well against the salary cap.
According to CapGeek.com, the Ducks’ payroll is at $52 million for next season and they have 19 players under contract. With about $12 million to spend to fill out the rest of the roster, their issues don’t lie in cutting costs. Instead, Anaheim’s problems surround which players to sign back before free agency.
The Ducks have 11 free agents-to-be this summer and only two of them are restricted (Kyle Palmieri and Matt Beleskey). Veterans like Teemu Selanne, Saku Koivu, and Toni Lydman figure to get the most attention before the Ducks go looking elsewhere to fill spots in the lineup. Stephens says the Ducks will give Selanne as much time as he needs to decide if he’ll return next season or retire while Koivu appears set to return.
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 5
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 43
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 12
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 68
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 136
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (136)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)