Jun 22, 2013, 3:15 PM EDT
After a disappointing finish to their season, the Anaheim Ducks’ offseason is at least shaping up to be limited on drama.
Eric Stephens of the Orange County Register reports the Ducks won’t be using either of their compliance buyouts this summer. With a handful of recently signed long-term deals just starting and a shortage of bad money deals elsewhere, there’s no need to buy anyone out. The Ducks are also doing well against the salary cap.
According to CapGeek.com, the Ducks’ payroll is at $52 million for next season and they have 19 players under contract. With about $12 million to spend to fill out the rest of the roster, their issues don’t lie in cutting costs. Instead, Anaheim’s problems surround which players to sign back before free agency.
The Ducks have 11 free agents-to-be this summer and only two of them are restricted (Kyle Palmieri and Matt Beleskey). Veterans like Teemu Selanne, Saku Koivu, and Toni Lydman figure to get the most attention before the Ducks go looking elsewhere to fill spots in the lineup. Stephens says the Ducks will give Selanne as much time as he needs to decide if he’ll return next season or retire while Koivu appears set to return.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)