Jun 22, 2013, 4:00 PM EDT
Things with the Bruins lineup have been so dull of late that a debate as to who coach Claude Julien will play on the team’s fourth line is their “hot question” coming into tonight’s Game 5.
Julien told reporters today he’s deciding between Kaspars Daugavins and Carl Soderberg to play alongside Rich Peverley and Shawn Thornton and we won’t find out who he’s going with til tonight. When asked why he was tinkering with things, he was pretty direct.
“Why? Because I’m the coach and because I can,” he said. “You guys ask me why I make those changes. I didn’t spend three days thinking about that. It’s a situation that I can do.”
As for whether Soderberg will indeed make his Stanley Cup Final (and playoffs) debut tonight, it sounded like Julien was hedging his bets.
“Well, I haven’t seen (Soderberg) that much. He’s only played a few games, and that’s probably the main reason he hasn’t played in the Playoffs is we went with some experienced players,” Julien said.
“I have to look at whether I feel comfortable staying with Daugavins, or as you know right now, it’s been between Soderberg and Daugavins. But they’re two different players. Size-wise they’re different. One is obviously real gritty along the walls, and the other one is probably more of a play maker.
“So there’s a difference there, and that’s where I have to make my decision what I feel I may need for tonight.”
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 0
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 22
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 12
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 41
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 11
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)