Jun 22, 2013, 11:33 PM EDT
If you were hoping for a detailed update on Patrice Bergeron, sounds like you’ll need to wait until Sunday — at the earliest.
Boston Bruins head coach Claude Julien didn’t provide specifics about the 27-year-old’s status, only saying that it was an injury that didn’t allow him to finish Saturday’s Game 5 loss to Chicago.
Here’s how the postgame conversation went with reporters:
Q. First, if you have any more of an update on Patrice Bergeron? And then to follow that up, maybe if you could describe the concern as a team after finding out that he would not be returning to the game.
COACH JULIEN: Well, no update, and I think there’s no concern until you get an update. As far as we’re concerned, he’s just getting evaluated right now. Not much I can say on his situation.
Q. Can you at least tell us how it happened, the injury?
COACH JULIEN: No, not really. It’s just an injury that wasn’t able to let him finish the game. He may be in next game. I’m not going there.
Q. Was this an injury that was fresh in this game or did…
COACH JULIEN: Guys, I’m not going there, so anything else but injury here. I’ll update you when I have an update. There’s nothing more. We can ask a million questions. I don’t have any more information than probably you guys do right now.
Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos passes along word from an anonymous Bruins source that Bergeron might have suffered a spleen injury.
Here’s video of Bergeron showing discomfort:
It’s believed he might have been injured during an exchange with Michal Rozsival in the first period, which might have been captured in this Getty Images photo:
- Gillis won’t say if Tortorella’s lost Canucks room 13
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 4
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 29
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 19
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 60
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (73)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (60)