Jun 22, 2013, 11:33 PM EDT
If you were hoping for a detailed update on Patrice Bergeron, sounds like you’ll need to wait until Sunday — at the earliest.
Boston Bruins head coach Claude Julien didn’t provide specifics about the 27-year-old’s status, only saying that it was an injury that didn’t allow him to finish Saturday’s Game 5 loss to Chicago.
Here’s how the postgame conversation went with reporters:
Q. First, if you have any more of an update on Patrice Bergeron? And then to follow that up, maybe if you could describe the concern as a team after finding out that he would not be returning to the game.
COACH JULIEN: Well, no update, and I think there’s no concern until you get an update. As far as we’re concerned, he’s just getting evaluated right now. Not much I can say on his situation.
Q. Can you at least tell us how it happened, the injury?
COACH JULIEN: No, not really. It’s just an injury that wasn’t able to let him finish the game. He may be in next game. I’m not going there.
Q. Was this an injury that was fresh in this game or did…
COACH JULIEN: Guys, I’m not going there, so anything else but injury here. I’ll update you when I have an update. There’s nothing more. We can ask a million questions. I don’t have any more information than probably you guys do right now.
Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos passes along word from an anonymous Bruins source that Bergeron might have suffered a spleen injury.
Here’s video of Bergeron showing discomfort:
It’s believed he might have been injured during an exchange with Michal Rozsival in the first period, which might have been captured in this Getty Images photo:
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 1
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 26
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)