Jun 22, 2013, 11:33 PM EDT
If you were hoping for a detailed update on Patrice Bergeron, sounds like you’ll need to wait until Sunday — at the earliest.
Boston Bruins head coach Claude Julien didn’t provide specifics about the 27-year-old’s status, only saying that it was an injury that didn’t allow him to finish Saturday’s Game 5 loss to Chicago.
Here’s how the postgame conversation went with reporters:
Q. First, if you have any more of an update on Patrice Bergeron? And then to follow that up, maybe if you could describe the concern as a team after finding out that he would not be returning to the game.
COACH JULIEN: Well, no update, and I think there’s no concern until you get an update. As far as we’re concerned, he’s just getting evaluated right now. Not much I can say on his situation.
Q. Can you at least tell us how it happened, the injury?
COACH JULIEN: No, not really. It’s just an injury that wasn’t able to let him finish the game. He may be in next game. I’m not going there.
Q. Was this an injury that was fresh in this game or did…
COACH JULIEN: Guys, I’m not going there, so anything else but injury here. I’ll update you when I have an update. There’s nothing more. We can ask a million questions. I don’t have any more information than probably you guys do right now.
Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos passes along word from an anonymous Bruins source that Bergeron might have suffered a spleen injury.
Here’s video of Bergeron showing discomfort:
It’s believed he might have been injured during an exchange with Michal Rozsival in the first period, which might have been captured in this Getty Images photo:
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 53
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 32
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 28
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 16
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 2
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 53
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 29
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)