Jun 22, 2013, 11:33 PM EST
If you were hoping for a detailed update on Patrice Bergeron, sounds like you’ll need to wait until Sunday — at the earliest.
Boston Bruins head coach Claude Julien didn’t provide specifics about the 27-year-old’s status, only saying that it was an injury that didn’t allow him to finish Saturday’s Game 5 loss to Chicago.
Here’s how the postgame conversation went with reporters:
Q. First, if you have any more of an update on Patrice Bergeron? And then to follow that up, maybe if you could describe the concern as a team after finding out that he would not be returning to the game.
COACH JULIEN: Well, no update, and I think there’s no concern until you get an update. As far as we’re concerned, he’s just getting evaluated right now. Not much I can say on his situation.
Q. Can you at least tell us how it happened, the injury?
COACH JULIEN: No, not really. It’s just an injury that wasn’t able to let him finish the game. He may be in next game. I’m not going there.
Q. Was this an injury that was fresh in this game or did…
COACH JULIEN: Guys, I’m not going there, so anything else but injury here. I’ll update you when I have an update. There’s nothing more. We can ask a million questions. I don’t have any more information than probably you guys do right now.
Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos passes along word from an anonymous Bruins source that Bergeron might have suffered a spleen injury.
Here’s video of Bergeron showing discomfort:
It’s believed he might have been injured during an exchange with Michal Rozsival in the first period, which might have been captured in this Getty Images photo:
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 41
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 27
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 43
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 22
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 84
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)