Jun 21, 2013, 3:01 PM EDT
Stability is not a word that has been associated with the Dallas Stars the past few years. But with a new owner in Tom Gaglardi, a new general manager in Jim Nill, and, now, a new head coach in Lindy Ruff, the club is hoping the turbulent times are behind it.
“One of the trademarks of successful organizations is their ability to have continuity and stability for an extended period of time,” said Nill in a statement announcing the hiring of Ruff. “It is clear from Lindy’s record, and from our own conversations, that we have found the right person to provide that stability and lead this club to the next level. His steady hand and experience will prove invaluable in returning our team as a top-tier contender in the NHL.”
Today, Ruff was introduced to reporters at a press conference, where he reiterated the stability theme and credited “an adaptability” for helping him become the longest-tenured head coach in the NHL (before he was fired by the Sabres in February).
“I’ve been through almost every type of circumstance, from being bankrupt, being run by the league, a defensive team, a top offensive team for a couple years, a Presidents’ Trophy team,” said Ruff, per Stars Inside Edge. “So there’s an adaptability there. I think first and foremost, it’ll be a relationship that Jim and I have that we create and the relationship with the management team and ownership of being all on the same page and that leads to stability.”
The Stars have missed the playoffs the past five seasons while playing for three different head coaches, Dave Tippet, Marc Crawford, and Glen Gulutzan.
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 30
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 14
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 10
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 18
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 54