Jun 21, 2013, 3:01 PM EDT
Stability is not a word that has been associated with the Dallas Stars the past few years. But with a new owner in Tom Gaglardi, a new general manager in Jim Nill, and, now, a new head coach in Lindy Ruff, the club is hoping the turbulent times are behind it.
“One of the trademarks of successful organizations is their ability to have continuity and stability for an extended period of time,” said Nill in a statement announcing the hiring of Ruff. “It is clear from Lindy’s record, and from our own conversations, that we have found the right person to provide that stability and lead this club to the next level. His steady hand and experience will prove invaluable in returning our team as a top-tier contender in the NHL.”
Today, Ruff was introduced to reporters at a press conference, where he reiterated the stability theme and credited “an adaptability” for helping him become the longest-tenured head coach in the NHL (before he was fired by the Sabres in February).
“I’ve been through almost every type of circumstance, from being bankrupt, being run by the league, a defensive team, a top offensive team for a couple years, a Presidents’ Trophy team,” said Ruff, per Stars Inside Edge. “So there’s an adaptability there. I think first and foremost, it’ll be a relationship that Jim and I have that we create and the relationship with the management team and ownership of being all on the same page and that leads to stability.”
The Stars have missed the playoffs the past five seasons while playing for three different head coaches, Dave Tippet, Marc Crawford, and Glen Gulutzan.
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 40
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 17
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 17
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 13
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 59
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)