Jun 21, 2013, 9:12 PM EDT
While the San Jose Sharks are Antti Niemi‘s team, the question over who backs him up next season may be getting cleared up.
Kevin Kurz of CSNBayArea.com reports the team is discussing a new contract with soon-to-be unrestricted free agent Alex Stalock. If that signing happens, it puts last season’s backup Thomas Greiss in a bit of a bad spot as he’s unrestricted as well.
Stalock is someone the organization likes quite a bit but he saw his career hit a speed bump two seasons ago when he had a nerve in his knee sliced by a skate. He’s since recovered from that and after spending most of his career with Worcester in the AHL is ready to take the next step.
As for Greiss, he played in just six games this past season and swapped spots with Stalock for a brief time meaning Niemi had to really earn his Vezina Trophy nomination. If Greiss is out in San Jose, perhaps a new gig in the German pro league awaits for him.
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 56
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 26
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 45
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 31
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (56)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)