Jun 21, 2013, 9:12 PM EDT
While the San Jose Sharks are Antti Niemi‘s team, the question over who backs him up next season may be getting cleared up.
Kevin Kurz of CSNBayArea.com reports the team is discussing a new contract with soon-to-be unrestricted free agent Alex Stalock. If that signing happens, it puts last season’s backup Thomas Greiss in a bit of a bad spot as he’s unrestricted as well.
Stalock is someone the organization likes quite a bit but he saw his career hit a speed bump two seasons ago when he had a nerve in his knee sliced by a skate. He’s since recovered from that and after spending most of his career with Worcester in the AHL is ready to take the next step.
As for Greiss, he played in just six games this past season and swapped spots with Stalock for a brief time meaning Niemi had to really earn his Vezina Trophy nomination. If Greiss is out in San Jose, perhaps a new gig in the German pro league awaits for him.
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 20
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)