Jun 21, 2013, 9:12 PM EDT
While the San Jose Sharks are Antti Niemi‘s team, the question over who backs him up next season may be getting cleared up.
Kevin Kurz of CSNBayArea.com reports the team is discussing a new contract with soon-to-be unrestricted free agent Alex Stalock. If that signing happens, it puts last season’s backup Thomas Greiss in a bit of a bad spot as he’s unrestricted as well.
Stalock is someone the organization likes quite a bit but he saw his career hit a speed bump two seasons ago when he had a nerve in his knee sliced by a skate. He’s since recovered from that and after spending most of his career with Worcester in the AHL is ready to take the next step.
As for Greiss, he played in just six games this past season and swapped spots with Stalock for a brief time meaning Niemi had to really earn his Vezina Trophy nomination. If Greiss is out in San Jose, perhaps a new gig in the German pro league awaits for him.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 11
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 35
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)