Jun 21, 2013, 9:32 AM EDT
The Dallas Stars have agreed to terms with coach Lindy Ruff, according to Dallas Morning News writer Mike Heika’s source.
Updated: The team has made Ruff’s hiring official.
This follows an interesting day in the Stars’ quest to find a bench boss to replace former head coach Glen Gulutzan.
Stars president and CEO Jim Lites asserted on Thursday that Ruff would be hired barring “unforeseen circumstances,” according to the Dallas Morning News. However, he later said that Stars GM Jim Nill hadn’t completed his process.
“I said it is Jim’s call, and I stick by that,” Lites said, referring to Nill. He later added, “I think [Ruff’s] an incredible guy, a great candidate, and I think we would be very happy if he is the next coach of the Dallas Stars. But that’s not my call.”
Well, Nill has made the call and it matches up with Lites’ earlier assertion.
Ruff has a 571-432-78-84 regular season coaching record and he’s made it to the Stanley Cup Final once before, when his 1998-99 Buffalo Sabres were eliminated by the Stars in six games.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 82
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (97)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (77)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (40)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)